bullets, so many to chooce from so little time

dryfarmer

what is differance between V-max and A-max bullets,
also I gleaned the post on loads for 22-250 seem like for a 1-14 twist the 35 to 40 gr bullets were recomended any comments, may explain some of my group problems with my Ruger been trying to make it shoot 52 gr bullets, guess I am asking for help, can't help but think this thing should shoot better then 3 to 4 inch groups at 100 yards

Well, assuming that your rifle has a 1 in 14 twist or so, the 52's should be the answer. 35 grains of IMR 4064 and a 52 should shoot less than 1/2 MOA in a quality rifle. There are many unknowns in a rifle system, meaning the scope and it's mounting, the barrel and it's chambering etc. Be consistant and if you have other rifles which you can shoot super groups look for the mechanical problem. If you don't hve any others, look for an experienced shooter to test your rifle and get you started on the right path. Good luck.

The V Max is a hunting bullet, made to expand rapidly. The A Max is a target bullet, built with a heavier jacket.

If you're in a hurry to shoot some small groups in your Ruger, you could try my all time guaranteed accurate Ruger varminting load.

This load has shot in the .2's in 6 different Ruger rifles I have tried it in.

Remington or Winchester brass once fired and only Lee Collet neck sized.
40 grains of H-380
CCI-250 primer
Hornady 50 grain SPSX bullets seated to max length the magazine box will feed.

I never have been able to get any plastic tipped bullets to work in my 22-250 even though they work extremely well in my larger ones.

speaking of bullet seating, how do you know if the bullet is not seated deep enough, other then it won't fit in the magazine, or will chambering the round seat the bullet as it touches the lands

When I first set up to load an unknown rifle I just barely seat 3 bullets. I then close them up in the gun to get what I call my jam length. I measure the 3 and either use the shortest or an aveverage of the 3. This is the actual length to the rifling. I then set up my seater to one of my dummies. Then I turn the seater down an additional 1/4 turn. This is about .015" off the rifling. This is where I always start a rifle if I can. Most of the time this length will not fit the magazine so I just keep running the seater down until a full magazine will function well. Some of my most accurate set ups are near .400" from the rifling. I don't really worry about the distance to the rifling as long as I'm not jammed into them or the rifle is not shooting well. For a varmint rig I have found as long as I have .125" gripping the bullet in the case I don't have any trouble when it comes to how little in the case can I get away with.

Oh boy, I see my CCI are 200 I assume a 250 is hotter maybe my Remington 9 1/2 mag is about same thing, ought to be a comparision chart on these primers, changing primers as well as powder and bullets had not crossed my mind

seated a 55 gr v-max chambered it and the bullet remained at initail seat depth of 2.620 (takes a length of 2.455 to fit the mag.)got some light scratches on the bullet not what I would think land markets would be probably the bullet wasn't seated straight with such a short seating
I am not new to reloading reload for my 25-06 and it shoots great, but this gun is really driving me up a wall

rifle shooter magazine dec.2000& feb. 2001 shows a primer
chart and lists them as from hottest, hot, mild, add mildest.
hottest-WLRM, fed 215, fed210
hot-cci-350, rem 91/2m, rem9/12, cci-250, cci-34, fed-210m,
win-wlr
mild-cci-br2, cci-200, rws-5341, fed-155, win-wlp.
i have been using cci-250 in my 270wsm and see no reason not to stick with with them.
130 b-tip 63 imr 4350 norma brass cci-250 .005 in lands 1/2"
groops or better at 100 yards.

Warning! This thread is more than 18 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Recent Posts