bullets for stevens .223

Discussion in 'The Basics, Starting Out' started by foreign, Jul 28, 2009.

1. foreign

foreign Well-Known Member

well im about to get a stevens 200 in .223 and put it into a choate stock. hoping to use it for some long range bunnie blasting.
    im working on what bullet i want to use in it that isnt ridiculously over priced (prices in nz are not ideal)
    found some locally made bullets. called targex. made with berger j4 jackets. theres a 80rn bullet that the maker says will stabilize in a 1 in 9 twist. bc of .440.
    anyone used these bullets. or anyone got an opinion on whether or not they will still be stable past say 400m
    cheers

2. crout

crout Member

tell the guy to give you 10 and see if they stabalize. from what litle i know you need a 1-8" twist for 80gr pills. 69gr pill would be ideal in your rifle.

3. foreign

the guy also makes a 69gr pill. bc of .400. that to me sound pritty good. i tyhink the 69 will also be able to be pushed faster which may make it better than the 80gr.

4. bowhunthard

bowhunthard Well-Known Member

Is your rifle a 1:9" twist? If so, 69gr would be perfect. Check the guys bullets for stabilization and accuracy before you make a final bullet decision tho. They may be expensive for you, but the Hornady 70gr V-Maxes sound like they would be perfect.

Good Luck.

5. foreign

yup the rifles a 1 in 9 twist. yea will try both.but if the 80 stabilize its going to be mint. there 50$nz for 100. so averagely priced.