bullets for 338 edge

timmyatnop

Are there any good custom bullets in 338 that have a higher bc than 300 smk,and won't break the bank Rocky mountains bullets are just a littel high, what about wildcat are they in business .

Heh heh... define "break the bank"!

Have you already considered Berger? I read a review at:
Berger Bullets Releases New .338 Hybrid (Dual-Ogive) Bullet « Daily Bulletin
and decided to try them out.
I called their Tech Line and got a box of 50 for $34.99 (but STILL haven't gotten around to loading them up yet). They claim an average G1 BC of .891, as compared to SMK's claim of .768.

Price-wise, they are about the same I guess. I was just looking for a "second source".

The berger will not shoot out of my edge. ten inch group at 500 yrds that is five shots. The SMKs that I shot right after went 2.1 inches with four of them being 1.3 inches.
The bergers were running at 2870fps. I backed them down to 2750 and they still would not group under ten inches. I just received my 500 box of SMKs in the mail today. no more bergers

Hrm... well that doesn't bode well for my second source then! I usually push the smk at about 2800, and figured I'd do the same thing with the Berger. I might have to make a renewed effort to belly up to the reloading bench just to appease curiosity...

I am shooting the 300gr bergers at 2850 and they are grouping .3 five shot at 100 yards but I have not had a chance to take them long range yet(hopefully this weekend). I have a couple hundred bergers and just got 500 300smk to test against them. 100 yards is just a load development starting point but so far they show promise.

Mine would shoot 5 bergers under .5 at 100 the SMKs would shoot one ragged hole. But at 500 the bergers would open up big time. Nothing against berger, they just don't work in my edge.

Warning! This thread is more than 14 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Recent Posts