Bullet selection for White Tail with a .223 - Youth hunt

My brother in law for years shot a 223 with 55grain core-lokts. Though none were shot at more than 75-100 yds we had to track them as a group because we just didn't have any blood till we came upon them dead. Then they were often found laying in a pool of it. A few years back he shot at one twice, swore he missed it, only it ran over a couple finger ridges and died within sight of another hunter. I bought a '06 as a loaner for him and banned 223 from my place for deer. I know many use one and some swear by it but I am telling you my first hand experience.
I agree but exceptions can and should be made for youngins, THEY ARE THE FUTURE OF OUR SPORT! If the only option for a little fella like him is the 223 and that is what is gonna keep him in the woods and interested then so be it. If he loses one so be it if it keeps him dedicated to the sport cause we need all hands on deck.......period. I will catch social media flak for this statement but keepin every child as a soldier in the fight to keep our hunting rights and gun rights is worth how ever many deer, hogs, rabbits, etc. it takes to be unrecovered..........period

Not on your list but my AR has a Wilson combat 1-8 barrel on it and it absolutely loves Barnes Vor-tx factory ammo loaded with 70gr tsx. Like sub .5moa accuracy. Shoots better than most of my handloads.

Saw a deer get whacked with one and it put that deer down hard. Deer was quartered to us. Hit the front shoulder right on the point going in. Broke the shoulder disconnected the top of the heart, lungs got blown apart and the bullet exited leaving a 3/4" hole. She hit the ground pushed herself with back legs about 30 yards and died. Shot distance was about 75 yards.

Not on your list but my AR has a Wilson combat 1-8 barrel on it and it absolutely loves Barnes Vor-tx factory ammo loaded with 70gr tsx. Like sub .5moa accuracy. Shoots better than most of my handloads.

Saw a deer get whacked with one and it put that deer down hard. Deer was quartered to us. Hit the front shoulder right on the point going in. Broke the shoulder disconnected the top of the heart, lungs got blown apart and the bullet exited leaving a 3/4" hole. She hit the ground pushed herself with back legs about 30 yards and died. Shot distance was about 75 yards.
Barns TSX, Hornady GMX, Barnes tmz get a thumbs up in ANY CALIBER.

In all honesty, any 224 bullet will work if placed right. However, considering murphys law, a mildly driven nosler ballistic tip is deadly. The hydrostatic shock from a good cup and core bullet kills fast...period!

In all honesty, any 224 bullet will work if placed right. However, considering murphys law, a mildly driven nosler ballistic tip is deadly. The hydrostatic shock from a good cup and core bullet kills fast...period!

IMO IN all honesty a 22 short will kill fast if you put the muzzle against the skull just behind the ear but.............when using a high speed lightweight projectile SUCH AS .224 to hunt deer ethically there are too many real world Murphy laws involved to use anything but a projectile that will hold together and withstand impact on bone upon entry, not to mention the possibility that your projectile may encounter a knat, leaf, twig, rain drop etc.
The OP initially posed this question regarding a child using the .223 to enter the world of deer hunting. The key words where " child" and "deer hunting". The world of deer hunting has THOUSANDS of Murphy's laws plauging the sport, to many to list and impossible to know them all.
With that being said even if you could expect a child to to get a shot off in the average time of less than 5 seconds you have to place that shot on a mature buck you cannot expect a child to process all of Murphy's laws so you must rely on the bullet to overcome Murphy's laws as much as possible. That is why he must use solid expanding bullet that will retain all of its mass and penetration.
I was trying to advise the most effective bullet to use if he is gonna use A Murphy's law plagued .223 round.
He could eliminate many of those pesky laws if he would start the child off with a .243, .260 or 7mm-08 in a semi auto platform (to minimize recoil).
I started my son off using a bolt action 30-30 at 10 years old and he used that round to take a doe and a 6 point his first year. He used it till he was 16 when Santa Clause brought him a Savage 116 Weather Warrior .308 that he still uses today at 34.

Not deer, but I used my AR-15 in .223 during antelope season last year. WY law dictated that I use something 60gr or larger, so I ended up going with the 70gr Barnes TSX bullet loaded to 5.56 pressures. Since it was a 16.5" barrel, I imagine it would be equal to .223 velocities out of any barrel 20" or longer.

I got to within 82 yards of my antelope and put one behind his left shoulder, which somehow managed to exit out of the right side of his neck. Since the small herd of 11 antelope he was with were starting to sense my presence and getting jittery, I can only imagine he was just starting to turn to run away. Regardless, he didn't take a single step and dropped dead in his tracks.

Fun fact: The rest of the herd, all does, went running off over the ridge after I shot. 30 seconds later, they all came running back to me since the buck wasn't with them. I had to shoo them away. Crazy.

So upon recently visiting my Father in law in Arkansas and reading the regs, turns out my son can hunt deer in the state, and it is reasonably priced for non resident. This would be a great opportunity for him next year, as it is still a few years until he will be able to fulfill the Wyoming age requirement of 12. He is already obsessed with hunting and shooting prairie dogs and such, I'm certain he would love it.

He's a pretty small guy for his age, he was born at only 27 weeks and his physical growth has always been a little stunted, though he is incredibly responsible for his age. He handles his cricket .22 safer than most kids 3 or 4 years older than him. But because of his small stature, I think the perfect solution for a deer rifle for him is my Ruger AR-556. With the stock collapsed all the way down, and putting the gun in a hog saddle and him sitting, he can shoot pretty respectably with it, I would allow him to shoot out to about 100 yards on a deer (he has hit prairie dogs at that range), and the recoil is negligible for him. Now my only question is bullet selection....and here are a few of my ideas

Hammer Hunter 64 grain
Sierra Game King 65 grain
Hornady GMX 70 grain
Nosler bonded performance 64 grain
Nosler Partition 60 grain

Do any of you have any experience with any of these bullets on white tail? It has a 1:8 twist, so it will stabilize all of them listed, and it has generally shot pretty good, though for 100 yards, extreme accuracy is not essential. More important is how the bullet will perform terminally on the deer. I personally have killed one small framed 3 point mule deer with the 65 grain SGK at about 150 yards, punched through both shoulders and was under the hide on the off side, and the deer fell where it was standing, but that was only one deer.

Any experience with any of these, or if there are other, better options, would be appreciated. Thanks all.

I haven't used the .223 for deer, but have used a .22-250. Years ago, Pennsylvania used to have a separate season for does, and I had gotten tired of trashing both shoulders of a smallish doe with the .308. So, I loaded up some 64-grain Winchester Power-Point bullets in the .22-250, and over the next few years shot a bunch of does with them. As I recall, they were doing about 3300 fps, and you would probably be getting a bit less than that velocity out of the .223 cartridge. I think that 3000 fps is a reasonable expectation, and I also think that would be plenty.

These bullets worked beautifully on the 100 to 120-pound deer, and all shots exited on mostly broadside lung shots. Exit wounds were all about the size of a dime, and not a single deer took another step after being shot. I didn't shoot any through the shoulders, so I can't say whether or not I would have liked the results. On rib-cage shots, though, I was pleased with the performance. There was no blood-shot meat in the shoulders, which was why I had tried these bullets. You can decide if a half-dozen smallish whitetails is enough to go on, Sir.

I'd also like to throw this thought in there : These bullets probably aren't much different from the Sierra bullets you have already shot deer with, and that one, quite likely, would be every bit as good for your young son's hunt. I don't know how heavy the jacket is on the SGK, but we took one of the Power-Points apart and the jacket was about twice as thick as the jacket on a 50-grain Sierra hollow point bullet that we were using to shoot woodchucks. The other thing we did was to shoot a bunch of woodchucks with the Power-Points, and expansion was minimal. Exit wounds were dimes-sized on eight-pound rodents, just like 100-pound deer.

If I was starting from scratch, I would be leaning toward the all-copper designs for this application, based on my experience with the Hornady GMX in the 30-06 over the last several years. A box of factory loads would be the quickest & handiest way to find out if your AR shoots them well. I've also never heard anything but rave reviews about the Barnes bullets, in cartridges large and small. A buddy of mine had a deer lease in Texas for several years, and he used the .223 to cull does routinely. The deer in his neighborhood are pretty small, but the 53-grain TSX routinely flattened them. It's all he ever used for that purpose, and he loved the terminal performance. I don't know if he ever used the heavier Barnes bullets, or what they load in factory ammo. A short trip to their website ( or a Midway or Cabela's catalog ) would tell the tale on that.

Lastly, you might want to keep checking the little guy from time to time about the eye dominance thing. He's young enough that it may still be changing. When little kids are growing rapidly, everything is changing all the time. His eye dominance may still be in transition as well. He might also be the kid who grows up to be truly ambidextrous, at least a far as rifle shooting goes. Sometimes eye dominance is not really strong, and you may need to patch one eye while shooting. Masking tape on one lens of his glasses works well but it's best if you don't need to do that. Watch him and see which hand he favors for other things he does ( throwing a baseball, swinging a bat, etc.) If he's truly left-handed, which I've been told by doctors is not what determines left- or right-handedness, he will have an easier time shooting off his left shoulder. If he's really cross-dominant, you may have train him to do something that doesn't feel natural to him. The good thing is that you're starting with him really young, when he will go whichever way you train him. Good luck, and remember to post some pictures of the young deer-slayer as soon as you can.

My son shot one with a 50 grain gmx and absolutely hammered it.

Attachments

• 6873BCC3-E52F-4CDB-90FA-1B98BA5BC1E3.jpeg
    6873BCC3-E52F-4CDB-90FA-1B98BA5BC1E3.jpeg
    1.3 MB · Views: 203
My daughter has used a ruger american in .223 with a Boyd's At one stock. It made the the length of pull short enough, and allows her something to grow into.

We load the 65gr SGK and it has performed great on whitetail for us. The twist on the Ruger is 1:8 as well. We try and keep the shots to 100 yards. As you noted it has performed well for you out to 150.

Vortex barnes 62 tsx or 70 tsx. My 1 in 8 shoots the 70gr to the same POI as the black hills 77s.

Warning! This thread is more than 5 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Recent Posts