Bullet selection for a 6mm AI

stoner

Came across a deal on a 6mm AI barrel with a 1:13.5 twist. Have a donor action so why not.

Questions is what bullet would you guys shoot with that twist. Be mainly for varmint and maybe pigs

Thanks in advance

When I had my 6mmAI built I was ignorant to the world of twist rates etc and had a 1-12" put on.

I run an 85grn Partition just short of 3500fps. Routinely shoots <1/2moa @ 100 and has accounted for everything from prairie dogs to mule deer. It's not the newest or fanciest bullet out there but it does what I want.

t

Should have added this. I am thinking 75 grain vmax or 87 grain. Will it stabilize both?

It would stabilize the 75grainer, but may not stabilize the 87; but I'd try it anyway :D I don't know how big the pigs you intend to hunt are but I would be a little skeptical about performance of a high velocity V-Max on a big Piggy. You might not get enough penetration to get into the vitals.

t

Warning! This thread is more than 7 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Recent Posts