bullet seating depth & high pressures

Brass neck thickness will vary by manufacturer and lot number. You can open up the neck so that it is like a factory neck and have lots of clearance and not worry about it or you can buy the equipment and learn to neck turn and control the situation. IOW, if he opened up the neck to fit your brass that you have now, it may not be enough for the next set of brass you get or it may give you a lot of clearance if you get thinner brass.

A lot of neck clearance is not a bad thing and lots of factory guns work very well, but that is not considered as advantageous as a tight neck and setting your clearance at a certain amount like .003". You will work your brass neck a little less.

If you get a neck turner you can use it on any of your guns, if you pay the gunsmith to open up the neck then that works for that gun only. If you ever want to shoot factory ammo in a tight necked custom chamber then you would have a problem. If you wanted to ever sell the gun it would create a problem.

Pros and cons on both sides.

i live about 25 minutes from sinclair international so i think i will go pick up a neck turner.
you hit the nail on the head with the factory ammo also hornady factory ammo will get stuck in the chamber and the bolt will pull completely off the brass i had to use a wood dowel rod to get a round removed and when i first sent it back to the smith that rebarreled it he tried remington factory ammo and the bolt had to be tapped open with a rubber mallet
i will give the neck turning a trylightbulb

and woods if you ever find yourself in indiana give me a shout and i will buy you a dinner for all your assistance this weekend, i appreciate it more than anyone can know:D

Last edited:
i got a variety of mics just not ball mics i do have ini mics that i use for the neck thickness
i will go over to sinclair monday and pick up a the necking kit you suggested

thanx again i appreciate it

Hey paste, just one last note. I don't have the Sinclair Turner and only recommended that one because you said you were going to Sinclair.

Personally I use and can recommend the Forster Hot 100 turner but you would have to get that on-line
Forster Hand Held Outside Neck Turner - MidwayUSA
Forster Original, Power Case Trimmer Outside Neck Turner Pilot, 22 Caliber (224 Diameter) - MidwayUSA

I'm sure the Sinclair will be fine though, just that I haven't used one.

Good luck and get back to us if this was the problem.

Warning! This thread is more than 15 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.