Bullet Seating Depth For Remmy .300

Discussion in 'Rifles, Bullets, Barrels & Ballistics' started by fin72fan, Sep 2, 2009.

1. fin72fan

fin72fan Member

I have a remmington 700 300 win mag ps bbl 26inch. I am trying to figure out a good bullet seating depth, I am using sierra 190 gr bthp and using H4831 powder at 69gr. I have been told to seat the bullet as long as my DM would allow and the bolt would close on. That is quite a bit longer than the 3.340 in the sierra reloading book. Was concerned about pressure buildup,but not sure how low to go with starting load. Thanks in advance for your help.:D

2. grinnergetter

grinnergetter Well-Known Member

Mine are .010 off the lands. As for length I would guess there is about 1/8 -3/16 left in the magazine.

Im sure you will want to get the proper tools to measure your chamber as yours will be different. Do a couple of searches here and you will get a bunch of info.

My load is 79 grains of H1000 which is at/below the starting load for this cartridge at least in my Hodgon manual.

3. fin72fan

fin72fan Member

Grinnergetter thanks for the info. Thats what I did. Made sure the bolt would close and then backed the seating depth to fit in the DM with a little bit of space. Am going to drop my load down to 67g of H4831 and run it through the chroney and see what speed I am getting. Am wanting to keeo it at around 2900 fps.gun)Fin72fan