Bullet Seating Depth (6.5x284 Norma)

Wachsmann

Can a gun respond to various bullet seating depths when powder is changed and velocity. I have one load that uses Hybrid 100v at 2845fps and shoots right at 1/2 MOA. Yesterday I was doing some load work up with retumbo trying to increase my overall velocity. I chose to go with 57grns and start a seating depth test. MY best group looks t be about .040 off the lands. MY hybrid group was about .070 off the lands. All bullets are brger 140 vld's.

Every change in your load (type of powder, seating depth, primer selection) will affect how the bullet prints on target. It is possible to run a range of seating depths leaving all other factors constant and still find a node at more than one place with the testing range.
My rule of thumb for reloading is that there are no constants. Even a an identical load in two rifles within exactly the same action, stock, chamber, bore, barrel length will perform differently.

Warning! This thread is more than 9 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Recent Posts