Bullet recommendation for 7mm-08 reduced loads

Now that I think about it, the 120gr Sierra Prohunter is a tougher bullet that at reduced loads is not the best hunting option, its tougher than the ballistic tip and is better for practice than actual hunting. This bullet is better at normal 7mm-08 speeds and at closer ranges to ensure proper expansion.
[/QU
I had remembered my dad loading down for us as kids, and I thought it was with the IMR 4895. A quick Google search brought up the Hodgdon pdf, so I went looking and managed to pick up a pound of H4895.

I had heard over and over again that the 120BT was an excellent bullet, but I also kept hearing that it was effectively harder than the 140BT, which is why I was leaning a bit away from those, at least for starting them off. Those 120 Sierra Pro Hunters do look like a good option, and the price isn't bad either.
at 35.5 gr h 4895 you will be at about 2600fps which should give you plenty velocity for either bullet to work well with very little recoil this is what I loaded for my nephew dropped it down to 33.0 in one other rifle for a friends grandson both have killed deer and hogs with these loads

I know at close range the 120gr prohunter packs a punch but at longer ranges its not as effective as say the 120gr ballistic tip or other heavier bullets
you are correct the 120 sierra is not a long range bullet of any type darn sure not at those speeds

I bet it hits the hogs hard. As I kid I used it on javelinas on the flat desert where close shots were common, usually head or neck shots but javelinas arent tough like hogs especially on the shoulders

I bet it hits the hogs hard. As I kid I used it on javelinas on the flat desert where close shots were common, usually head or neck shots but javelinas arent tough like hogs especially on the shoulders
it does its job both kids are very good shots they both come to my place and practice quite often my nephew is already learning to reload he really thinks its cool to build his own ammo

it does its job both kids are very good shots they both come to my place and practice quite often my nephew is already learning to reload he really thinks its cool to build his own ammo

I agree with him. When we take game with our own loads that we put in the work for the rewards is more satisfying. Pretty cool that they have you to teach them, 👍

The 120gr Sierra Pro was a little too tough when I was loading for my friends daughters. Of course we started at 2000fps and over the years kept working up until they were just shooting managed recoil factory.
The 120 BT's worked better but if I had to do it over again I would have used 110 TNT's.
Not that they didn't kill all the deer they shot just that the deer ran a ways with the tougher 120's and were difficult to find occasionally.

The absolute most fun gun I have is a weatherby accumark in 7-08. I raised my daughter on this gun and it can be shot off your chin. I just want to be clear, please confirm, through google search, and double check your powder charge as pistol powder can be harmful to you and gun. 17 grains of blue dot with 120 grain sst hornady bullets will easily do the trick out to 150 yards on deer. That being said, we usually practice with that round, and you can practice all day. In my gun, at 100 yards it groups Awesome. After she was comfortable and very confident, I would swap over to my regular load when hunting. She would shoot at the deer and never realized the difference in kick. nothing like adrenaline! I also learned with my son, buy a nice big heavy gun for your kids. youth model guns are light and kick hard. Full size gun with a reduced stock is much better for kids, of course that is just my opinion

The 120 BT's worked better but if I had to do it over again I would have used 110 TNT's.
Not that they didn't kill all the deer they shot just that the deer ran a ways with the tougher 120's and were difficult to find occasionally.

I 2nd the suggestion of the 110gr TNT. I took several cull does with the 125gr TNT in a 308 @ 3100fps. My load was quite devastating at that velocity. I keep my shots off the shoulder.

At the 2000-2200 neighborhood you are probably looking at I think they would work great. That is prime 300 AAC velocity and those guys love the 125 tnt for deer.

Have done this with a 243 for friends grandson. Used Sierra 80 grain bullet, per their recommendation, ( call their tech guys and explain what you re doing and ask which 120 grain bullet would be most applicable) and worked wonderful for deer and antelope. Google Winchester Youth Loads for detail of how to use H4895. We ended up starting at a 60% of max load and worked up to 70% which was roughly 27-28 grs of powder. That gave us 2550 fps and 3/4" groups at 100 yards. About like shooting a 223.

I m guessing you ll end up around 28-30 grs of powder in the 7-08 with a 120 gr bullet and will have about 2500 ish fps. You ll be SHOCKED by the performance and low recoil.

You can also check with Speer and other bullet makers on their 120 gr slugs. Since you re running lower velocity trick is finding a softer bullet that will expand. I started our 243 quest wanting a Single Shot pistol bullet and Sierra and Hornady both had them in past but not now. That's when Bulletsmith at Sierra said the 80 gr one would have similar characteristics.

Good Luck.

Warning! This thread is more than 5 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.