I need your opinion about these tree bullets for my 280:

Swift Scirocco II
Swift A-Frame 140 gr
Speer trophy Bonded Bear Claw 140 gr

Thanks for all.

Best regards.

Valentin (Valencia,SPAIN)

None of the above

Hi I would not use any of the ones you mentioned. I use a 284"Win and 168 & 175gr Sierra MatchKings are awsome out to 1200yards. If you are limited to a 10 twist use the 168 if you have a 9 or faster twist test wichever shootts best in your rifle. If you have an 8 twist or faster the heavy Wildcat projectiles would work. This is for long range hunting past 600yards but they will worh from the muzzle .

Cheers Bill

hi jwp475,

I´m looking for bullets with this type of structure. I think that the TBBC and the A-Frame are quite similars in structure (but not in price), my question is about the performance of both, in other words, TBBC vs. A-Frame, and the same with the Scirocco II. I want it for hunting wild board and Elk.

Thanks.

Valentin.

Ari, I can't speak for the bullets you list, but last year I put the 140 grain Accu-bond through 2 elk. Well only one went through, the other was a nice mushroom laying under the off side hide. That bullet had shatered the scapula and taken out at least one vertabre, at 25 yards.

Ari,

All three will penetrate very well. The A-frame and TTBC will drill the deepest in heavy game.

The Scirocco will transfer the most energy to your target and will be the most effect ballistically with its higher BC over the other two.

On average, I would say the Scirocco will be the most accurate bullet but I have seen some A-frames shoot 1/2 moa or better as well so its hard to say until you get some in the air.

Simply put, at the velocity of the 280 Rem, all will work great on game up to around 600 lbs but the A-frame and TTBC would be best for closer to moderate range big to heavy thin skinned game.

The Scirocco will make its money at longer ranges where its higher BC will be more advantagous over the other two deep penetrators.

From what I have seen the Scirocco will penetrate on par with the nosler Partition or Accuonds when in same caliber at same velocities.

Good luck.

Kirby Allen(50)

I have had great results of the Barnes TSX. 1/4 to 1/2 moa out of my dad's stock remington mountain rifle using RL22

Warning! This thread is more than 17 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.