bullet choice for LR coyotes

jaybic

Hey folks,

I am just checking out what folks are using for LR coyote bullets.

I am working up a .243 ai load in a 25.5in 10 twist tube and so far the 87gr Vmax is shooting about .5 at 100 yards but I am still in the fire forming phase.

I have 65gr Vmax, 70 Sierra HPBT match and the 87s. I am kinda on the fence about trying to go fast and light or slow and heavy so I am just gathering opinions to see what might work for others and see if it might work for me.

Thanks,:)

Jamie

I have 2 varmint/deer setups. One is a .25-06 AI and the other is a .257 Wby Mag. I shoot the Berger 115 VLD's out of both of them. I have recently discovered an issue with the barrel in my .257 Wby, and the smith borescoped it and said to send it back to Weatherby. So I will be doing that sometime. My main coyote rig is the custom built Sendero SF .25-06 AI. It will drive tacks all day long, and will send those 115 VLD's cookin' down range.

My 243AI shot the 87vld well, but I'm now using the 105s. I shot three with the 87s, not long range, but the coyotes never took another step. What ever the heaviest bullet your gun will shoot, which with a 1-10 twist, should be in the range you are.

I would stick with the 87gr V-MAX, probably the best all around varmint bullets for speed, BC, accuracy, and explosiveness out of a .243 or .243 Ackley. I launch them out of my Remington 700 Varmint rifle chambered in .243 Winchester with a 26" barrel at 3250fps. Hit a coyote this weekend at 288yds and cut its spine in half and blew a four inch hole through it. Not the load for pelts but definitely the right one to kill them on the spot effectively. Shot this same load out to 780yds with excellent results and it shoots surprisingly flat at those long ranges and bucks wind well. This slug should be around 3300+ fps out of your .243 AI so will deliver excellent ballistics and amazing killing factor on the yotes.

I had really good results in my two 6mm's with the 80 grain Sierra Blitz running just slightly under a max load. At 250 yards it would cut a dog in two pieces. Still 400 yards was about it, and after that I'd move up to an 85 or even a 90 grain bullet. With a ten twist barrel, your pretty much on the ragged edge with a .40 B/C, and you might find the 87 grain BTHP from Hornaday a better solution with it's .35 B/C, or even better the 95 grain SST with a .35 B/C at longer ranges as the bullet will stabilize better.
gary

I use to shoot 55gr Noslers BT out of my .243 but they destroyed pelts. Switching to the 95 gr. Bergers which are grouping 1/4 MOA. Haven't been able to field test but there is something to be said about high BC and wind resistance.

Warning! This thread is more than 11 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.