bullet ballance or wall thickness

RustyRick

Is their any Vern Juenke Machine ICC? machine users out there that can give me the worth of the tool.

I understand the goal but does this thing accomplish it?

Or are their alternatives?

Is their any Vern Juenke Machine ICC? machine users out there that can give me the worth of the tool.

I understand the goal but does this thing accomplish it?

Or are their alternatives?

Let's see if I can explain "How it Works".
You spin the bullet inside an electrical energy field that essentially calculates the thickness of the jacket relative to the lead core. An evenly "coated" lead core should produce a consistent reading over the entire circumference of the bullet. If the lead core is off center the machine's output provides a measurement of how much "out of balance" the bullet might be.
I've read about the machine. I've always made it a point to buy the best commercially available bullets so never saw much value in having one on the bench.

So there is an assumption that the lead filler is balanced?

Hell, Rick, I dunno. But that's a reasonable interpretation. There's so much gobbledygook indexed under the headings of ballistics and reloading that you could drive yourself nuts trying to keep up with every theory (legitimate or not) or technical analysis that pops up. I've grown so tired of it I'm ignoring anything that takes more of my time than loading a round that shoots straight, maintains good velocity, and groups consistently well. I leave perfection to the OCD's. gun) - - - - - -

It's my understanding that it's a crude eddy current setup that provides relative indication of jacket thickness variance. A few have looked at it's workings here:
Vern juenke machine

I had one for a while & eventually sold it off as I never reached a point in my shooting where I felt it would make any difference, with the bullets I used.
I'm still pretty much focused on bigger accuracy attributes than this.

Keep in mind this was in need a long time ago, when there were many making bullets in point blank BR.
That's not to say jacket problems couldn't exist, just that they SHOULDN'T from the best available today.

Warning! This thread is more than 10 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.