Building gun for next fall

mcmurray

I've been lurking around on this site for a few weeks trying to soak up some of the knowledge that everyone shares. I will be setting up a long range rifle for next fall and the information on the site has been quite valuable. I do have several questions and areas that I would like some comment on.

• Does anyone have a phone number for Kirby Allen in Fort Shaw? As it turns out I only live 2 hours away and would like to talk with him about a rifle.
  • I narrowed the caliber of the rifle down to 2 options. 7mm Remington Magnum and .300 Remington Ultra Mag. My initial reaction is to go with the 7mm RM because of the higher ballistic coefficient of the available bullets and the longer barrel life. On the other hand I have noticed a great many people using the 300 Ultras. Am I missing anything that I should consider? (I could purchase both!):p
  • As for a rifle I am down to 3 options. A custom gun. It is a possibility depending on cost. A Remington Sendero is the best factory option I've found but there is no guarantee of accuracy. The third option is an HS Precision rifle at about $2600.00. At least they guarantee ½" MOA. If I went with the Sendero and had Kirby square it up, bed it, install a muzzle break, and have it coated with ceramic finish the cost would be?
  • As far as a scope I am down to 2 options. A Leuopold or a Nightforce with a 50mm Objective and at least 20X magnification on the high end.
  • I've also spent some time on the "Best of the West" web site looking at their products on Gunwerks.com. I've seen absolutely no mention of their products on this site. They sell a rifle with their own Huskemaw scope for about $6000.00 ready to go. What is up with them?:rolleyes:

Kirby's email addy is in his signature line. He's quite responsive to emails.

When you talk to him DO NOT under any circumstances talk about any of the Allen Mags.:D

Most Senderos will shoot 1/2 MOA from the factory with a little development. Mine in 7RM will shoot 1/2 MOA easily and probably better with a better shooter:).

If you can swing it, buy the Nightforce, hands down above the Leupold.

Having Kirby build a custom would be the best guarntee you can get!

I've been lurking around on this site for a few weeks trying to soak up some of the knowledge that everyone shares. I will be setting up a long range rifle for next fall and the information on the site has been quite valuable.
What will you be hunting with it and what do you mean by "long range". How far do you plan on shooting?

Does anyone have a phone number for Kirby Allen in Fort Shaw? As it turns out I only live 2 hours away and would like to talk with him about a rifle.
Like Roy said, e-mail is the best.

I narrowed the caliber of the rifle down to 2 options. 7mm Remington Magnum and .300 Remington Ultra Mag. My initial reaction is to go with the 7mm RM because of the higher ballistic coefficient of the available bullets and the longer barrel life. On the other hand I have noticed a great many people using the 300 Ultras. Am I missing anything that I should consider? (I could purchase both!):p
Caliber and chambering is up to you and can be a personal thing. Quite possibly what you plan on hunting may help with your decision. Talk to Kirby about this.

As for a rifle I am down to 3 options. A custom gun. It is a possibility depending on cost. A Remington Sendero is the best factory option I've found but there is no guarantee of accuracy. The third option is an HS Precision rifle at about $2600.00. At least they guarantee ½" MOA. If I went with the Sendero and had Kirby square it up, bed it, install a muzzle break, and have it coated with ceramic finish the cost would be?
Again, talk with Kirby about these things. There are other options available to you and maybe Kirby might have something available you could build off of.

As far as a scope I am down to 2 options. A Leuopold or a Nightforce with a 50mm Objective and at least 20X magnification on the high end.
This is another one of those personal things. Don't know how much experience you have or with what scopes but if it was me and the cost didn't scare you off, I'd go with the Nightforce in a heartbeat.

I've also spent some time on the "Best of the West" web site looking at their products on Gunwerks.com. I've seen absolutely no mention of their products on this site. They sell a rifle with their own Huskemaw scope for about $6000.00 ready to go. What is up with them?:rolleyes:
If you dig into the search function you will find some stuff here on them. Remember, there's probably a reason you never see some products mentioned here.

If I was going to spend $6,000.00 or more I'd be in Fort Shaw the next day. Come to think of it, I've done that before.;)

No matter what you decide, talk to Kirby and he'll go over all options with you whether he builds it or not. You'll find out there are far more options available than you might think and there are far more decisions to make that you might think.

Good luck with your build and have fun with it when it's done.

building gun

the senderos i have shoot real good. the rifles i have with kreiger barrels shoot really really good. i sold a nightforce "br" and got a leupold mark 4 i am very happy i did. maybe the nigthforce NXS are much better than the "br" . i don't know. to my eye the mark 4 is better than a the nightforce br. what you primarily are shooting at will determine caliber. roninflag

Email Kirby and go and see him. He is a very nice guy both on email and in person.

Being a 7mm fan I would recommend the 7STW as being a good choice in between the 7 Rem mag and the 300 Rum. But once you talk to Kirby he will understand your needs and style and give you a more professional recommendation.

Thanks for the input

Thanks to everyone that has replied to my inquiry. I live and hunt in Montana and I will be looking for all of our big game species. Elk, deer, and antelope are all on the menu. If you want to do a lot of shooting you can get numerous "B" tags for does of all species and come home with a truck load. When we do this the food bank people have a big smile as we deliver the prepared hamburger.

I will email Kirby again to see if we can arrange a time to talk. I will be driving through there a couple of times in the next few weeks to hunt Pheasants.

Warning! This thread is more than 17 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Recent Posts