Building a 6mm AI

Discussion in 'Rifles, Bullets, Barrels & Ballistics' started by Lapua guy, Jan 28, 2011.

1. Lapua guy

Lapua guy Well-Known Member

Looking at a Krieger Heavy Sporter (4 Contour) barrel. Just wondering what that looks like. I was thinking of putting it on a HS Precision M24 Tactical Varmint stock, but wondering if that would be too slender of a barrel for that stock.

Any input?

2. TOM H

TOM H Well-Known Member

What you need to do is call H&S and find out what barrel contour fits that stock.

3. Lapua guy

Yeah, I guess I should rephrase the question. Obviously I have done that. I know it will fit. What I am asking is how it will look. Pretty simple, if you have that contour of barrel, or something like it from Krieger, love to see a pic.

4. TOM H

TOM H Well-Known Member

Sorry I misunderstood your question but when you asked "if the barrel too slender for the stock" anyway. I do have a #4 Kreiger chamber for the 35 WhelenAI and it sets in a Rem BDL wood stock. I assume it be one of these since they have other models but with heavier barrels @ .930" muzzle

H-S Precision Pro-Series 2000 M24 A1 Tactical Stocks

PST012 Remington 700, Short Action, BDL Remington #3 (.850" Muzzle Standard Police/Varmint)
    PST087 Remington 700, Long Action, BDL Remington #3 (.850" Muzzle Standard Police/Varmint)

Well good luck

5. Lapua guy

Ok, sorry, I don't think I am making myself clear. No it isn't either of those stocks. It is the M24 Vertical grip Tactical Varminter. Not asking for what stock I could use. Asking if I should use that barrel. HOW DOES IT LOOK? DO YOU HAVE A PIC?

I think that will make it more clear, I hope. Thanks.

6. strombeckj

strombeckj Well-Known Member

I would go with a heaver barrel like a Krieger Remy varmint contour, only 1 lb heaver then a #4 with that stock. Or switch out to a stock with a leaner fore end. Maybe one of the Manners, if weight is an issue then definitely a manner stock with the carbon fiber upgrade.

7. Lapua guy

Ok, thanks. Not a fan of the look of the Manners ultralight stocks. I will look at a different contour.

8. strombeckj

Here is my Model 70 with a modified HS Precession varmint stock and a Krieger Winchester heavy varmint contour. Same fore end as the stock you are talking about. Winchester contour has a heaver looking shank area and tappers faster than the Remy contour. But VERY similar. Hope this helps.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG][​IMG]

9. Lapua guy

Very nice looking gun. The stock I have is similar, not exact, but similar. Hopefully Krieger will have the barrel I need.

10. strombeckj

Thanks, the stock started life as a HS precision varmint. I had my smith dish out the grip area, extend it and add a hefty palm swell. Fore end should be the same. B&C painted it with their Dura touch finish.