Build-up...7WSM-300WSM-7Mag-300Mag..u prefer?

Dust270WSM

Want to do a build up for a new long range deer rifle/steel ringer!!! Want to be deadly out to and beyond 1,000 yards. Give or take. I do all my own reloading. I planned on shooting 160 grainers or 180s. Not sure yet.

I'm either going to get a custom savage action or just save up and get a surgeon action.

Anyways which would u guys and gals go with and why???

Want to do a build up for a new long range deer rifle/steel ringer!!! Want to be deadly out to and beyond 1,000 yards. Give or take. I do all my own reloading. I planned on shooting 160 grainers or 180s. Not sure yet.

I'm either going to get a custom savage action or just save up and get a surgeon action.

Anyways which would u guys and gals go with and why???
300 Rum and 180's-208's.

You just can't beat the versatility of the .300 Rum and the combination of managable recoil, velocity/flat shooting, and knock down power.

There's certainly no need to go bigger if long range deer is your ultimate goal.

Heck I'm going to put together a .264wm to compliment my 300 Rum specifically for deer and antelope "just because"... .gun)

WildRose hit it on the nose. Unbraked hunting weight hammer for deer to 1k the 300 RUM is perfect. I dont think that your gonna step into a good 1k deer rifle in the 7mm dia. that wont be a barrel burner.

i am in pretty much the same boat you are but i currently own an accurate 7mm rem mag remington 700 BDL that will be my doner action.

So my options are between the 7mm mag and the 300. win mag. I was going to go 7mm mag for its 180 bergers and tons of people suggested it to me for ranges 1000 yards and less. People also suggest to do a 7mm wsm in my long action firing 180 bergers. That is what i was suggested to do the most.

i then mentioned my main game i go after is not only whitetail but moose every year and instantly it was 300. win mag, 300 ultra mag or 338...

So if i were you, all 4 of those calibers are pretty sweet, but if it were me i would probably take 7mm mag or wsm only cause thats the information i was told. if your interested in larger game step up to a larger bullet. i decided on 300. win mag i just have to wait for the money before i begin.

My range is 800 yards and less, and my game is everything from moose down but moose and whitetail are my main targets!!

The 300wsm and 7mmRM are nearly identical for all practical purposes. My favorite due to history is the 7rm, but I absolutely love my 300wsm. If you need to step up to the additional power of the 300rum, you might as well step all the way up to a 338 (Edge or RUM), as the barrel will last longer.

Overall, I'd choose the 300wsm, as it's more efficient, can be built on a lighter/shorter action, more barrel friendly etc etc.

AJ

I have a .284 Win on a Stiller tac 300 that will drive a 180 vld to 2950 fps on 40 grains less powder than a RUM, and has flattened hogs out to 900 so far. I have shot RUMs and I like BIG hammers, but I'm starting to prefer the efficiency of the .284, and ability to spot my own hits. I think spotting your own hits with a RUM un-breaked would be tough. You also mentioned ringing steel. My .284 has no problem hitting steel NRA rams at 800, 900, 1000, 1160, and 1256 at our range, and does it for about $0.20 a round less than a reloaded 300 RUM. The WSMs would good choices in long actions but short actions eat too much powder space on long bullets.
Just my 2 cents worth, I hope it helps you. Do what YOU want and by all means have fun doin' it.gun)

I own a 7WSM built on a savage long action I shoot 180 bergers at exactly 3000 fps and can ring steel at 1000 all day long I love it being on a long action I can seat the bullets out and it feeds perfect so my vote would be for the 7WSM built on a long action

I am in the same predicament! I just will not be going after moose. Strictly deer...any suggestions?

Warning! This thread is more than 13 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.