Build off of a sendero

dahunta

Hey guys im planning on turning a sendero in a .270 into a 300 wsm or maybe 325 and would like some info on the tools i need and maybe some instructions!a link or something that i could read would be greatly appreciated.my dad has done barrel jobs on several savage actions and i have tagged along and helped a little so we sorta know what to expect but have never done too much smithing on a remington.planning on buying a new barrel vice and and action wrench but would like some recommendations on brands and such that are best.thanks alot.

thanks ol mike.i know it willl definately be a new experience but im interested in learning bout it.any suggestions on where i should get a barrel from.was leaning towards a douglas from douglasbarrels.thanks for the help

I have a douglas xx match barrel on my 22-250 -built by Micky Coleman -shot a 3" and a 3 1/2" group at 453yds lasered a while back and couldn't be happier w/ it.
It's a solid 500yd coyote gun.

This is just an opinion -i think many people [myself included] get tied up in reading posts here and other places online -about shooting itty bitty groups.
A factory barrel in the hands of a skilled handloader compared to a top notch barrel [broughton rockcreek krieger shilen bartlien lilja obermeyer etc-etc] w/a so-so rifleman would be a toss up in accuracy.

The douglas barrel i have shoots better than i do -what i'm getting at is don't go thinking you need a $4oo dollar barrel unless you are at the top of this game.A douglas or pac-nor will serve the hunter just fine.
Also you can get them crowned,chambered ready to screw on.

ol mike thanks for ur opinion.i would like to know where the line is that would "put me on the top of this game"!?.i sold a savage with a 24" sporter barrel to fund this project.the gun would shoot under a minute consistenly out to 800 yards.i mean, "i could shoot the gun under a moa out to 800".all that was added was a boyds thumbhole and a bed job.not really sure how to get "on top of this game" but im pretty sure a good route is keep feeding money into your equipment!this gun is going to be a toy that will mainly be plinkin plates and such with my dad and friends,along with an occasional moose hunt(or i would be lookin hard at the 6.5 creedmor).i have tagged along while my dad has put douglas barrels on several savage actions.all have pleased.at the moment im trying to decide between two of the contours from douglas: the heavy target(28") and the magnum target(30").if i needed a gun to hunt with i would definately go another route, but i really have all i need.this build is just a toy and i definately would like to build a gun that would out shoot me because it would be a shame to put the time and money in a gun that wont matchme, all to save a little money!

By all means -if you don't mind spending the money get the best barrel you can.
What i'm saying is -if i had a douglas barrel rather than a broughton on my 280 ackley i doubt i'd shoot any better under field conditions.Time behind the rifle is much more important than a higher dollar barrel.

As for your first post -i'd go w the 300wsm over the 325 and 270 -- better bullet selection.A 300wsm shooting a 208amax or 210berger makes a great longrange set-up -especially on a long action rifle.

thanks for the post ol mike.read what i wrote earlier,didnt mean it to be 'jumpy'.

There is one other possibility that might work for you.

Shilen makes and sells pre chambered, threaded and contoured barrels.

They chamber about .015 deep so that all you have to have is a lathe
to take a little off of the sholder to headspace.(Simple)!!!!

You can get a chrome moly or a stainless including there select match (this
is the one I would recomend).

Just a thought

J E CUSTOM

If the gun was a 270 winchester your going to need to open the bolt face and instal a sako extractor.

HOLD ON!!

Those rem 270 Sendero's are rather rare and can bring a fair price if they are in good shooting condition. I've had my eye out for a used 270 Sendero for over a year now, and haven't had a chance to grab one. If you decide to build a WSM sendero, I would reccomend selling the 270 (to me if possible), then picking up a sendero with the Magnum bolt face to use as a donor action.

MSU, I got one last year, like new not more than a dozen rounds down the tube. Mounted a weaver tactical made 3 loads using 3 different bullets and the thing shot groups from 1/4 to 3/4 minute. Haven't touched a thing on it including the trigger. I haven't put 30 rounds through it. It was too easy now it just sits in the safe.

Warning! This thread is more than 16 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.