Buddy needs help with 300 RUM.

mobenzowner

Friend of mine has a Remington in 300 Rum. Seems to me like it has a very long throat. He says the Barnes 180 factory ammo has him at a .182" length to hit the lands on his rifle. He says that same load will shoot 1" at 200 yds but goes to a foot at 400 yds. I asked him if the target shows circular or oblong bullet entry and he claims 100% circular. I thought perhaps the bullet was tumbling although there s/b no stabilization issues with a 180 barnes out of a 300 Rum. Is that throat out of spec?

He is not recoil sensitive and shoots the 300 win mag to 800 yds with good accuracy. Other than check the torque on action screws, scope bases and rings, the standard stuff, is there anything you all might recommend he do. The only thing non factory is a muzzle break. I'll suggest he either try a different break of take it completely off.

Friend of mine has a Remington in 300 Rum. Seems to me like it has a very long throat. He says the Barnes 180 factory ammo has him at a .182" length to hit the lands on his rifle. He says that same load will shoot 1" at 200 yds but goes to a foot at 400 yds. I asked him if the target shows circular or oblong bullet entry and he claims 100% circular. I thought perhaps the bullet was tumbling although there s/b no stabilization issues with a 180 barnes out of a 300 Rum. Is that throat out of spec?

He is not recoil sensitive and shoots the 300 win mag to 800 yds with good accuracy. Other than check the torque on action screws, scope bases and rings, the standard stuff, is there anything you all might recommend he do. The only thing non factory is a muzzle break. I'll suggest he either try a different break of take it completely off.

Sounds like it is close to SAMMI spec. Free bore and throat are your friend with the big over bore cartridges, and in order to get the velocities necessary. The Weatherbys have much more than the RUM's because of the velocities and the amount of powder used in the Weatherbys.

All barrels like certain Bullets and it sounds like this is the case here. Have him try other brands and weights to find the right bullet for the barrel. The 300 rums like 180 to 200 grain bullets normally depending on the twist. I own several RUMS and mine like the Nosler bullets best. The Accubonds seem to be the most consistent in accuracy and performance. some like the partition because of the bullet body length.

The Sierra match shoot the best but are that good for hunting. There are many other things that can cause this and evaluation of the group shape will help. If the group Is stringing the shots vertically, it is probably the SDs And the velocity is up and down.
If it is stringing them horizontally it is bedding or trigger control normally.

If i have good SDs and poor accuracy, It is normally the bullet weight or/and style.

Hope this helps

J E CUSTOM

I've had problems stabilizing the "long for weight" Barnes bullets, in a 9.25 twist 7mag. The box said " for 9.5 twist minimum". It was keyholing at 100 yards on my rifle.
This particular rifle you're discussing may be on the thin edge of stabilized or not stabilized and showing up at a bit of a distance, with just this ammo.
I agree with above, try different ammo or hand loads with a 185 grain Berger or that minimum weight class in another manufacturer. Barnes just seem to like higher twist rates than advertised in my rifles.

I agree with JE, the 200gr AccuBond seems to work good to great in the factory Remingtons. In mine I'm jumping the AccuBond 0.234" to the lands and getting great accuracy out of it.

idcwby

Thank you all very much for the support. All great info here, which I will pass along to Trey. In summary sounds like there are absolutely no safety issues if he is .182" to the lands. Will also recommend the 200 gr accubonds for him to try.

I've had great luck with 200 gr Sierra Game Kings and my RUM.

yes it's not one of the new whiz bang VLDs
But it shoots amazing out my rifle and I get great velocity out of them.

I have a carbon 6 barrel (mcgowen blank I've been told) and I just load them to saami 3.6"

killed a bunch of stuff too - all one shot kills

Warning! This thread is more than 5 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.