Browning x-bolt varmint stalker

45acp

Newbie here. I bought the rifle in 22-250 and need some advice on a quality scope for $1000.00 or less. The gun will be used for coyote and some paper punching out to 300-500. Thanks for any advice.

At the lower end there are the nikon coyote specials in 4.5-14x40 excellent scope for the price. Check on leupold 6.5-20x40 should be around $6-800, after that the sky is the limit. Jump on midwayusa.com and use their scope finder should be able to narrow things down a little more for you I'm not up to date on the latest prices. Let us know what you decide we want some pics and to know how she shoots too...

The Nikon Monarch and Bushnell Elite would work. But look at Zeiss before you buy. Cameralandny.com has some good deals on them. The new 3-15 power is the next scope I'm purchasing for a hunting rig. But they have some great glass. And the conquest models would fit your bill easily.

My 2 cents

I have a Varmint Stalker in .243 that I use for coyote and rockchuck hunting. I mounted a Leupold VX-3 6.5-20X50 LR/T with the varmint hunter reticle and I love it. 6.5X is low enough power for calling in close range coyotes and 20X is way more than you'll need on the upper end. If I had it to do again I could get along with a 4.5-14 just fine. The varmint hunter reticle is the best. For my gun and load it gives me dead on holds at 200, 300, 400, 525, and 600 yards. We all know that coyotes don't just stand around waiting to be shot at and I think the holdover lines are a lot quicker than having to dial, especially when you're under pressure.

Thanks for the replies. Is the Ziess hd5 5-25x50 with the rapid z varmint reticle to much of a scope for this rifle?

I used Leupold STD 2-piece base w/ Leupold 30 mm High rings. It leaves a little more than 1/8" clearance between barrell and bottom of scope.

I don't think that the 5-25 would be overkill for your rifle. The Rapid Z reticle is similar to the Varmint Hunter reticle in the Leupold and I'm sure it would be great for what you are wanting to do.

Here's a picture of what my X-Bolt looks like w/ the Leupold and a few unlucky coyotes. fall 2012 075.jpg

Thanks again for the info. Thats a good looking setup u got jt183. I think im gonna bite the bullet and purchase the 5-25 Ziess with varmint reticle.

I recieved my Zeiss hd5 5-25x50 scope today. Having the rings hand lapped hopefully this weekend by a friend of mine. Anxious to get out to the range and try this setup out.

Warning! This thread is more than 12 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.