Browning X-Bolt Accuracy Problems

I have one 30+ year old Browning Stainless Stalker which is on its second barrel and it has always been the best factory rifle I have ever owned. I have seen first hand a handful of Hells Canyon Speed rifles that are IMO the best factory hunting rifle on the market.

I just got a 6 creed x-bolt from a member here on this site. The bolt was really rough and gritty. After investigating the rear action screw was a bit too long and causing the issue. Filed it down just a bit by hand and it smoothed right up. It shoots great, but doubt it would have before the file job.

I have one now in 6.5 PRC that is going back to the factory a second time as I cannot get the rifle to consistently group below 2" in the factory configuration. We have a total of 5 brownings and 4 of them shoot good with the one consistently shooting under 1/2 MOA with 6.5 Creed American Gunner ammo but this one has been a challenge.

Two of my x bolts had incorrect twist from the factory. 300 win mag 11 twist. Shot handloaded 180s & 200s good, nothing heavier shot great.
270wsm. Started at 11 twist and ended at 10.25 twist. Shot moa. Can't really complain about that but moa was not what I was looking for. It was a balancing act to handload for it. Traded it to a fellow who never shot much over 300 yards. It was a good rifle for him.

So figured I'd stop back around and update, Browning is replacing the rifle with a new one as it did not meet their accuracy specs after the second test. So once I get the new one in I'll be able to test it and provide another update.

Additionally I have some more trigger time behind the 6.5 PRC in my rifle and it pretty much confirmed it was not the cartridge, scope or my handloads that were the problem.

So figured I'd stop back around and update, Browning is replacing the rifle with a new one as it did not meet their accuracy specs after the second test. So once I get the new one in I'll be able to test it and provide another update.

Additionally I have some more trigger time behind the 6.5 PRC in my rifle and it pretty much confirmed it was not the cartridge, scope or my handloads that were the problem.
Great to hear someone stand behind their product!

Good to hear... both of mine shoot well, but problems occasionally happen and it's nice to see that they're doing right by you.

You are wasting time and money switching bullets and ammo at this point. You have something else wrong. Switch scopes and shooter first to confirm not the scope or you. THEN you can narrow it down. Make sure no base screws touching the bolt inside the action. Finally, call Browning, bet they will want it back to check it. Not good PR like it is

I have the Max LR in 7mm mag and can't get it to shoot under 2 1/2" at 100 yards. Tried hand loads and factory. I sent it back to Browning and they sent it back to me with a wallowed out hole target and said it was fixed. I finally got time to mount a picatinny rail and one of my Zeiss scopes. I torqued the base and screws to 18 inch pounds and shot 175 gr Remington Coreloks because they said that's what they shot through it. Still no better! I have tried differant scopes that proven true on my other rifles, I've cleaned throughly. I'm disgusted to say the least. It's going to be some awfully bad PR for Browning if they don't get this rifle right.

I have the Max LR in 7mm mag and can't get it to shoot under 2 1/2" at 100 yards. Tried hand loads and factory. I sent it back to Browning and they sent it back to me with a wallowed out hole target and said it was fixed. I finally got time to mount a picatinny rail and one of my Zeiss scopes. I torqued the base and screws to 18 inch pounds and shot 175 gr Remington Coreloks because they said that's what they shot through it. Still no better! I have tried differant scopes that proven true on my other rifles, I've cleaned throughly. I'm disgusted to say the least. It's going to be some awfully bad PR for Browning if they don't get this rifle right.
I've heard some people say they get half moa from handloads with xbolts in 6.5 cm and 6.5 prc. 1 moa is the best I got out of three xbolts using factory ammo which I'm not complaining about. From my experience with factory rifles, I no longer expect any more accuracy from a Browning than I do from any other manufacturer on average. I don't blame you about being dissatisfied with the accuracy you are getting. 7mm rem mag is not typically a finicky round either. I would try some federal 165gr Sierra loaded ammo. You should see less than 1.25 moa from that load. I get about .75 moa out of it. Federal 150 fusions should shoot well also. You should be able to find a factory load that shoots close to 1 moa on average. If it won't do that, it probably has a problem. I would think that 2.5 moa would be the absolute worst you would see out of factory ammo that the rifle likes the least. I saw 2.5 moa with my xbolt 300wm with factory ammo that it liked the least and .75 to 1 moa with factory ammo that it liked the best which was nosler brand. Sometimes it took trying 5-7 different types of factory ammo to find something that shot good in my factory rifles. I handload now.

Warning! This thread is more than 5 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.