Browning Hells Canyon Twist Rate

I understand and would really like to get my hands on one and fire a few shots to see how it actually feels. Could save me about $800 that can go into scope purchase over extra cost in Christensen!
The Christensen Arms Ridgeline ($1,600) should only cost you about $300 more than a HC Speed LR ($1,299), and should cost less than the retail of a HC Speed LR McMillan ($2,199).

The Christensen Arms Ridgeline ($1,600) should only cost you about $300 more than a HC Speed LR ($1,299), and should cost less than the retail of a HC Speed LR McMillan ($2,199).

Just going by what I've seen on Gunbroker, the Hells Canyon Mcmillan usually goes for $1800-1850, most of the Ridgelines are $1900-2000.

I went back and forth for about 6 months over the two. In the end, my previous experience with the HC Speed is what sold me on the LR McMillan. Nothing against the Ridgeline at all, it's an awesome rifle.

Just going by what I've seen on Gunbroker, the Hells Canyon Mcmillan usually goes for $1800-1850, most of the Ridgelines are $1900-2000.

I went back and forth for about 6 months over the two. In the end, my previous experience with the HC Speed is what sold me on the LR McMillan. Nothing against the Ridgeline at all, it's an awesome rifle.
What I'm seeing on the Ridgelines for sale online is around $1,600-1,700...

I don't much care for the X-Bolt having a DBM setup, instead of a floorplate like the ABII, but I like the fact that they're using 1:8 twist 7mm barrels now. I also like the looks of the HC Speed LR McMillan, but for those prices, I can build a custom 700 that will shoot as good, or better with a cut-rifled 5R Bartlein tube or Proof CF barrel blank.

I'm seeing the same prices as well - Haven't ran across a Ridgeline for less than $1800 (at least in a chambering that interests me).

The LR McMillan is a great looking rifle and is definitely a consideration for my next purchase, but a custom build is tempting as well.

I have both a Christensen Ridgline in 300 Win. Mag. And a 2016 X-Bolt long range hunter in 6.5 Creedmoor and they both shoot excellent, the 6.5 shoots 143 ELD-X into .6-.8" groups at 200 yards over H100V, and I would proabably save the money and just get 2 X-bolts if I was to do it again... A 1-8" Hell's Canyon Long Range in 28 Nosler is very enticing though and I may end up with one if I can find one.

Last edited:
I bought the X-bolt long range hunter in 7mag last year. Barrel length and diameter are the same as hells canyon. It comes with a break also. Mine is not 1 in 8 twist but the new ones might be. I measured and mag will defiantly accept 3.5" reloads. Bought it during Browning rebate promotion from buds gun shop so only paid $680. I bought cheap factory hornady white tail ammo to break it in and for the reloading brass. Factory ammo accuracy surprised me with consistent near or at moa out to 300 yards. I then loaded 162 eldx, 70gr reloader 25 and federal 215. Forgot and didn't have gun with me when reloading so just stuck with factory recommended overall length. It almost stacks them on top of each other at 100 yards(1/2-3/4 moa with no fliers during 5 shot groups). At 300 yards it is under 3" but I'm no great shooter so I'm sure it is more capable than me. I shot 8" steel plate repeatedly at 500 yards so don't know exact group size there. Using basic vortex viper 6.5-20 with DNZ game reaper mount. Was impressed that point of impact didn't shift when switching from bipod to sand bag under receiver. I'm very happy with it. Also reloaded some accubonds and they shot to same point of impact as eldx out to 300 with moa accuracy. I realize these distances probably aren't considered long range for a lot of y'all but I'm a beginner to benchrest past 100 yards. The trigger is a bit heavy but really crisp. Remembering to keep finger at bottom of trgger really helps with pull weight but I'm definitely gonna look into lighter spring mentioned in earlier post. Anyways this replaced my Tikka as my favorite factory rifle I've ever owned and spurred me to start the build of my first custom long range rifle using the Tikka action.

A little jump here in time. I am considering getting a 7 mm but keep flopping around between the AI, 28 Nosler and Rem 7mm mag so have been reading a lot of posts like this one. Before I get too far into this I'm talking off the shelf rifles. The AI is alluring to me as I want it for Elk hunting but don't want to carry a heavy rifle around and the Kimber Hunter fits that bill at under 6 lbs. But the Rem 7 mm appears a bit more powerful and the 28 is at another level but the least expensive 28 that I've found are the Brownings which aren't cheap either. Another consideration for me is the twist rate. The kimber's have a twist of 9 for their hunter. But some of the newest heaviest bullets recommend a twist 8 or 8.5. Looks like a 175gn would work with a 9 twist as in the Kimber 280 AI and anything heavier than that in the AI I don't see having the Velocity to receive much benifit from a heavier round anyway. As to twist rate, I see some of the newer brownings and some limited editions have faster twist rates. The newer Hells canyon model for instance has a twist of 8. I cut and pasted the following info from Browning quote: " IMPORTANT TWIST RATE NOTE: In 2018 faster twist rates were added to select calibers and the twist rate is indicated on the barrel next to the caliber. The 6.5 Creedmoor and 26 Nosler became 1-7". The 300 Win Mag, 7mm Rem Mag and 28 Nosler became 1-8". Prior to 2018 the 6.5 Creedmoor and 26 Nosler were 1-8"; the 28 Nosler was 1-9"; the 7mm Rem Mag was 1-9.5" and the 300 Win Mag was 1-10"." End quote. These rates seem to apply to some newer Browning X models.

I'm probably going to sound like a Browning salesman here but I'm definitely not but in going to the Browning website several things caught my eye. The Hells canyon model come in at least 2 variations. The Long Range which has the 8 twist and is 7lbs 3 ounces and the Hells canyon "Fast" which has a 9 twist rate and weighs 6 lbs and 10 ounces. They also made some limited "Shot Show" rifles that have the 8 twist including some 7 mm Rem magnums.

I call that good news for folks who want to shoot the heavier bullets. I know that's probably old news to many who keep up with all the new gun info but new me so I figured maybe it's new as well to other folks like me.

Anyway the specs on the 28 sure look good but the price and the weight don't quite fit into my idea of a real lightweight rifle but I still haven't eliminated the possibility of buying one. Hope this info might be useful to someone out there but at the moment I'm still looking.

I got the 1:8 Long Range 7 RM a few months ago. Did the barrel break in with Hornaday's "Lite" ammo. So far I've been shooting Barnes 150gr Vor-TX with the poly tip to sight in my scope. It shoots tight groups and the muzzle break really takes care of the recoil. Using my Lyman bore scope, it has a nice bore and does not copper foul compared to my 20 year old Rem 700 that I was using.

I haven't shot it over 400 yards yet or with anything heavier than 150 grain. I've got heavier bullets to try but haven't had the time lately to shoot. For me it's a nicely balanced rifle with a Burris Veracity scope. I almost bought the McMillan stocked 6.5CM instead as I really liked the feel of that stock but couldn't see paying another $800.

If you buy via internet, make sure you confirm which twist rate you are getting (the faster twist rates are only available in the LR models) -- the newer faster twist rate model sold out fast and people still have last years slower theist rate rifles on the shelf-- Browning did NOT change the UPC or model number for the faster twist rate rifles so the only way to know for sure is to look on the side of the barrel for the twist rate marking.

the slower twist rate rifles did NOT have a twist rate noted on the barrel, but the faster twist rate rifles do have it stamped just after the cartridge marking on the barrel

If you buy via internet, make sure you confirm which twist rate you are getting (the faster twist rates are only available in the LR models) -- the newer faster twist rate model sold out fast and people still have last years slower theist rate rifles on the shelf-- Browning did NOT change the UPC or model number for the faster twist rate rifles so the only way to know for sure is to look on the side of the barrel for the twist rate marking.

the slower twist rate rifles did NOT have a twist rate noted on the barrel, but the faster twist rate rifles do have it stamped just after the cartridge marking on the barrel

cohunt,

I second that, especially if you intend to shoot the heaviest bullets available for your caliber.

I got the 1:8 Long Range 7 RM a few months ago. Did the barrel break in with Hornaday's "Lite" ammo. So far I've been shooting Barnes 150gr Vor-TX with the poly tip to sight in my scope. It shoots tight groups and the muzzle break really takes care of the recoil. Using my Lyman bore scope, it has a nice bore and does not copper foul compared to my 20 year old Rem 700 that I was using.

I haven't shot it over 400 yards yet or with anything heavier than 150 grain. I've got heavier bullets to try but haven't had the time lately to shoot. For me it's a nicely balanced rifle with a Burris Veracity scope. I almost bought the McMillan stocked 6.5CM instead as I really liked the feel of that stock but couldn't see paying another $800.

Jerry,

Appreciate that info since I had been considering that same model rifle and caliber. Only thing I don't like about it is that it's 7lbs and 10 ounces. Not really heavy as magnum LR rifles go but I already have a heavy LR 300 Win Mag. When I Elk hunt in the mountains I often have to pack in so I'm looking for something lighter if possible that will still do the job of taking down an elk at fairly long range. This is why I haven't completely dumped the idea of using a 280 AI as I can get one fairly reasonably priced (around 700 dollars for the Kimber hunter) which weighs less than 6 lbs. Another possible option it looks like may be a Browning hells canyon Fast model in 28 Nosler for under a grand. Though it's only has a 9 twist I don't feel the need to use heavier bullets than 175 grain and I think the 9 twist would do the Job and it's a pound lighter than the same rifle (hells canyon) in the LR format.

Yes, it would be heavy trekking in the mountains with the Browning. I hunt flat land and I like a bit of extra weight to tame the recoil since I like to shoot steel as well as deer. Another thing to consider is having a light rifle in case you want to add the extra weight of a suppressor at some point.

Warning! This thread is more than 6 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.