Browning barrel thread

Bill Nieters

I picked up a browning X bolt western hunter in 26 nosler. I would like to get a thread protector to be able to take off the muzzle brake when hunting. I called browning and they told me it is a proprietary thread because they are coming with a line of suppressed guns and didn't want their suppressor to fit this gun. Has anyone figured out what the thread size and pitch is? I tried 1/2-32 & 1/2-36 and neither fits. The barrel is about .015" larger than the 1/2" protectors that I tried.

I picked up a browning X bolt western hunter in 26 nosler. I would like to get a thread protector to be able to take off the muzzle brake when hunting. I called browning and they told me it is a proprietary thread because they are coming with a line of suppressed guns and didn't want their suppressor to fit this gun. Has anyone figured out what the thread size and pitch is? I tried 1/2-32 & 1/2-36 and neither fits. The barrel is about .015" larger than the 1/2" protectors that I tried.

You may have to buy or barrow a thread gauge to find out what the pitch is. (Hopefully it will not be Metric).

1/2 '' threads will be .500 od and 9/16 will be .562 od (Major diameter) if it is only .015 larger than 1/2 '' it is probably Metric.

J E CUSTOM

Just wondering why you would want to take it off for hunting? It will probably change your point of impact for your bullet. Is it because of the increased muzzle blast, or the way it handles with the extra weight on the end of the barrel?

Last edited:
Muzzle blast. I'll shoot it with and without to test point of impact. The brake is tiny and doesn't weigh much at all.

Understood. I have a brake on my rifle, but have decided to leave it on while hunting. I started wearing hearing protection (electronic) while hunting to protect what little hearing I have left. Plus, it amplifies the other sounds. Talk about wetting your pants when a Bull bugles closeby !!!

I just got off the phone with Browning because my buddy has one that he wants to get a suppressor for.He told me 5/8 24. Which is common for 30 caliber and I know that the muzzle brake is stamped .30 cal on it so that would make sense. If you could verify that would be great.
Matt

Mine is definitely not 5/8-24. It is 13mm I'm pretty sure. I did order a thread pitch gauge and will let you know when I know.

Mine is definitely not 5/8-24. It is 13mm I'm pretty sure. I did order a thread pitch gauge and will let you know when I know.

Most manufactures of suppressors have standardized 5/8x24 as there thread pitch, But muzzle brake threads are a different story. I have found threads anywhere from 16 tpi to 37 tpi. plus many metric threads.

There must be some kind of logic to this thinking but I don't get it. (When you make something odd,
it stays odd and eventually go's away).

If it is metric the poster will have to re thread a brake and/or a barrel nut, or shoot it like it is with hearing protection. (Hearing protection should be worn any time you shoot a firearm because the DB is above the threshold of hearing lose/damage).

J E CUSTOM

Got a chance to look at my buddies rifle and shoot it over the weekend. The trhreads are not 1/2x 28 or 5/8 24 for sure you are correct. And I would agree they look metric, I didn't have my thread pitch gauge with since we were shooting but I will try and stop by his place and check it.

Cool, thank you for the info. Its pretty frustrating that when you call the Manf. they cant even give the correct info. I put one lay away last night and will pick up next pay day. Now to get everything else I need! :)

If it is the same as my X-Bolt Western Hunter Mossy Oak Brush

Then it is metric 13 x 1.25

Warning! This thread is more than 4 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Recent Posts