Bring Deer Into New Land

JAshley37

I'm trying to bring some deer onto a property I plan on hunting next year. It's a large acre farm but mostly fields. However, in the back pasture there is a creek that separates nothing but hardwoods. Unfortunatly I don't have permission to hunt the hardwoods. So I'm trying to find a way to bring them to my side of the creek. I know it will be difficult to get them out of the woods to a pasture so I need some ideas. Anything will help. I've thought of putting out corn during the fall and planting a food plot in the spring. Ideas?

I'm trying to do a similar thing, but its alot harder than it sounds. For about the past 3 weeks I've been laying tons of corn out there for them. The first couple weeks I had about 6 bucks a night on my trail cam. Now, I'll get about 1 buck a week if I'm lucky. My guess is that they are so used to the fall spots and that is where they are going to head. Maybe in the late season corn would bring them back.

Let me know how it goes for you, and if you have any new ideas. This section of the forums doesn't seem to get a whole lot of attention.

Good luck.

Depends on what state you live in. Putting out corn if not legel could get you in a world of trouble. Need to find out what the deer are feeding on right now and what they will have come hunting season. You can pour out tons of corn all year and once the acorns start to fall that all changes things. I would suggest checking if there are any draws or such on the land that you plan to hunt and see in the deer are using them as a means of travel from a food source or bedding area. Just remember deer once the rut kicks in, worry about a few things. Sex, food, water. If people are hunting the wooded area they can also push out deer once they are moving around in the area. Oldfamily

Deer need food, water, shelter (cover) and during the rut a little lovin'

Since you cannot provide water, shelter or lovin' you're left with food. So I think you're on the right track. Corn is a poor choice though. Corn is a pure carbohydrate and a good energy source, but not what the deer need when they need to fatten up for the winter. You need to plant food plots with a preferred food source. In terms of geography, you probably need to plant them down close to the creek - this will entice them to cross.

Find out from your local game biologist the preferred crop for food plots. Also check into the legalities of your plan. Here in VA, you can plant them but after September 1 you can maintain what you have, but you cannot plant any new seed.

Soy beans
it will surprise you they will bed down at night in them
AND PLANT SOME CEDER TREES CLOSE TOGETHER FOR THEM TO BED AND HIDE IN

Warning! This thread is more than 15 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.