Brief LMT MRP Piston Review

jonthomps

I recently bought a 5.56 LMT piston gun. There isn't a lot of info out there for this specific stick so I thought I put a little out there. I have owned a couple of LMT's and they have all worked great, so when I decided to buy a piston set up it came down to LWRC, PWS, SCAR and LMT. I knew LMT so the decision was over. (It actually took much longer than that - you know, "research.") I've put about 500 rounds through it so she's still basically a virgin but this things really is impressive. Here's why:

No carrier tilt. Not even any signs of it. That's a good thing as LMT pins their buffer tubes to their lowers!

Recoil impulse. If I were blind folded, I might, MIGHT be able to tell the difference between my piston and a DI MRP. There really isn't a nickels worth of difference. I know the SCAR and 416 have short, very different impulses and it takes a little getting used to, not so with the LMT piston.

Speaking of the piston . . . I love the piston system! One turn and whole assembly comes out the front. Super easy and tool-less. (Yes, there's a setting for suppressed.)

Fit and finish: It's an LMT. As with any high-end AR it's top notch. I don't know if it was just mine or what, but there is zero play between the two halves. I'm sure it will loosen with time.

Accuracy: This is kinda silly to do an accuracy review on this type of weapon system but it's everything it should be. Zeroing my EOTech @ 100 with the three power magnifier I could hold 1 1/2 - 2 MOA no sweat with LC SS109.

Faults: Standard trigger. I changed mine out with a Geissele before even taking it out. If you've been living on another planet and don't know, Geissele triggers are the bomb. Just find the right model for your intended use. Buy once, cry once, you won't regret it.

Overall, this is a great system and I would highly recommend it! And of course, what good is a thread with pics!?!

http://lmtmrppiston.shutterfly.com/pictures/8

Stay safe,

Jon

I recently bought a 5.56 LMT piston gun. There isn't a lot of info out there for this specific stick so I thought I put a little out there. I have owned a couple of LMT's and they have all worked great, so when I decided to buy a piston set up it came down to LWRC, PWS, SCAR and LMT. I knew LMT so the decision was over. (It actually took much longer than that - you know, "research.") I've put about 500 rounds through it so she's still basically a virgin but this things really is impressive. Here's why:

No carrier tilt. Not even any signs of it. That's a good thing as LMT pins their buffer tubes to their lowers!

Recoil impulse. If I were blind folded, I might, MIGHT be able to tell the difference between my piston and a DI MRP. There really isn't a nickels worth of difference. I know the SCAR and 416 have short, very different impulses and it takes a little getting used to, not so with the LMT piston.

Speaking of the piston . . . I love the piston system! One turn and whole assembly comes out the front. Super easy and tool-less. (Yes, there's a setting for suppressed.)

Fit and finish: It's an LMT. As with any high-end AR it's top notch. I don't know if it was just mine or what, but there is zero play between the two halves. I'm sure it will loosen with time.

Accuracy: This is kinda silly to do an accuracy review on this type of weapon system but it's everything it should be. Zeroing my EOTech @ 100 with the three power magnifier I could hold 1 1/2 - 2 MOA no sweat with LC SS109.

Faults: Standard trigger. I changed mine out with a Geissele before even taking it out. If you've been living on another planet and don't know, Geissele triggers are the bomb. Just find the right model for your intended use. Buy once, cry once, you won't regret it.

Overall, this is a great system and I would highly recommend it! And of course, what good is a thread with pics!?!

http://lmtmrppiston.shutterfly.com/pictures/8

Stay safe,

Jon

Nice write up Jon I will second everyting you said. I have the piston and the DI barrels for my MRP and I think I can tell a diffrence in recoil. The piston has a sharper Rap to it I think.

When you say LMT pins there buffer tube, you mean they stake the nut right? Which is impartant and a lot of lower end non mil spec rifle builders neglect this.

Here is some in depth info for you. If you get real into the MRP I suggest getting the torque in the bottom pic.

LMT Piston Review. - M4Carbine.net Forums

Technical and Professional discussion forums for enthusiasts of the M4 and AR15 family of weapons - Search Results for lmt piston=

My blaster
005-1.jpg

001-3.jpg

002-2.jpg

0012.jpg

LOVE that torque wrench! Where can I get it? Looks like its small enough to be stowed in one of the SOPMOD tubes. You're right - I meant to say staked! As I wrote that I couldn't think of the word for the life of me. Sorry for the confusion. How do you like the diopter sights on your piston rig? I almost pulled the switch on a pair.

LOVE that torque wrench! Where can I get it? Looks like its small enough to be stowed in one of the SOPMOD tubes. You're right - I meant to say staked! As I wrote that I couldn't think of the word for the life of me. Sorry for the confusion. How do you like the diopter sights on your piston rig? I almost pulled the switch on a pair.
The H&K sights are the fastest irons I have ever used but they didnt work with both my optics setups so I sold them off. I run the KAC micro now. I got mine from commuter bike shop they had the best price on the wrench and yess it will fit in the SOPMOD.

Warning! This thread is more than 12 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.