break on a 338 rum sendero?

Keith,

Try bringing the butt of the stock in tighter against you. It used to bash my finger too until I drew it in tighter on my shoulder. It pushes more than kicking to me now doing it that way with no finger bashing.

Guys, I am new to this site. Seems everyone is willing to share info. I have a little about Breaks. In '79 I built a 30-378 on a Ruger#3 w/ a 30" tube. Fagen american classic stock, Cangar trigger ect. It sharp reciol was distracting, so I added a KDF break within a year(about mid '80). This break made recoil less, but muzzle blast was REAL BAD. I killed several deer at long range with this rifle and 1 5 pt Elk at 600 yds. I since then, in about '96 built a 338 on the 416 Rigby case with a 34" Lilja barrel on a Geske action. This rifle is heavier, but much more accurate. Both rifles have had several scopes on them of the Leupold and Lightforce brands. They are both very good glass. The 338 has taken 2 deer and 4 antalope, at 400 to about 800 yds. I have shot at several more at longer range, about 1200 yds but seem to always shoot over them. The Pesja program has worked well for me and a couple of friends who also pursue this longrange game. Lilja has a very good site and several good articles on long range hunting. He also builds Great barrels. Gerry Geske actions are also very well made and are very true and square when they arrive. This rifle has a George Vias Break. I understand that the breaks sold by Brownnel's, being called the Orginal Vias Breaks are not presently made by George at all, So we aware of that. George understands more about the recoil reduction game than most I believe. Many of the builders of the best long range guns have in the past used George's breaks. His breaks give as high amount of reduction of reciol and are quiter( used a sound meter from work and several other break equiped rifles to test) tan the others. I hope we see George come out in the future with a new break. I believe he will. Anyway I have worked with 3 different Sendaro's in the following chambering. 7mm Ultra, 300 Win Mag and am working on a third in 338 RUM. The 300 and the 338 both wear one of George's breaks and the 7mm is without. These are very fine rifles right out of the box. After proper breakin of the barrel the 300WM fired a 3.75" 5 shot group from 500 yds. prone with a bipod and rice bag rear rest. We hope to get the 338 to shoot like this also, and have molyed up new Nosler 225 Gr Accubond to try, I hope nosler might build this bullet in 275 or at least a 250 gr for the big 338's. Anyway hope this may help.

Recoil is very subjective... first, I know I like the brake in a 338 Lapua. The Sako factory brake is surprisingly good but VERY noisy. You can see the hits shooting 300 grainers from a bench at 2600-2700 fps, a stock TRG-S. Barrel won´t jump.

On the other hand,I shoot lots of cast 405 grainers at 2050 fps from a bench with a stock Marlin 1895,no brake, I do timer practise drills with it etc and the recoil is stout but no problem for good shooting. One gets used to things, I have a simple pad installed though. Most people only shoot it once.
grin.gif

Now, because suppressors are legal here I just sent that Marlin to be a "guinea pig" for a company. They claim that their suppressors take most of the recoil out while obviously working as a flashhider and a silencer. Yes,even supersonic loads get a lot quieter, thinking about my dogs hearing now.

If it works good as a brake too I may consider one for the TRG-S to get rid of the noise.

In some places over there across the pond suppressors are a no-no. Some other states require a $200 tax for the license. Take a look, this is fun stuff:

Br-Tuote Suppressors

Click around on the links too. I´ll be getting the model Scout8, they talk about the brake effect there.

I have no connections with this company, neither am I suggesting any illegal actions. This is simply hearing protection info.

Warning! This thread is more than 21 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.