.338 RUM Sendero

casilva43

I have a remington sendero in .338Rum. I am going to start reloading. I just bought the dies, RCBS press etc. I am trying to select a bullet. Cabela's has three bullets to choose from

.338 Caliber 215grain .338 50 SBT GameKing Regular Price: $25.99 In Stock

.338 Caliber 250grain .338 50 SBT GameKing Regular Price: $25.99 Backorderable

.338 Caliber 250grain .338 50 HPBT MatchKing Regular Price: $34.99

Which do most recommend for 1000 yard shooting and what does SBT stand for? I am wanting to hunt with this set up but also be able to reach out to 1000 yards or so.

I have a remington sendero in .338Rum. I am going to start reloading. I just bought the dies, RCBS press etc. I am trying to select a bullet. Cabela's has three bullets to choose from

.338 Caliber 215grain .338 50 SBT GameKing Regular Price: $25.99 In Stock

.338 Caliber 250grain .338 50 SBT GameKing Regular Price: $25.99 Backorderable

.338 Caliber 250grain .338 50 HPBT MatchKing Regular Price: $34.99

Which do most recommend for 1000 yard shooting and what does SBT stand for? I am wanting to hunt with this set up but also be able to reach out to 1000 yards or so.

The SBT stands for Spitzer Boat tail And are normally used for hunting.

The HPBT is a match bullet and more suitable for targets. Of the three It would be the best
for what you want.

J E CUSTOM

The SBT stands for Spitzer Boat tail And are normally used for hunting.

The HPBT is a match bullet and more suitable for targets. Of the three It would be the best
for what you want.

J E CUSTOM

IT is a hollow point bullet? It would be well suited for taking Elk past 800 yards?

Look at the 225 grain nosler accubond or the 225 grain cutting edge with the .64 bc. That is what I use out of my 338 RUM.

+1

The 225 and 250gr Accubonds are my favorite bullets for Elk at extended distance.

In my opinion, dont use any match bullets for hunting because of unpredictable wound
channels. Lots of the guys on this site like the 300 gr SMK because of its accuracy
and dont worry about the terminal inconsistent performance. So you have to decide
which one.

My 338 rum using 250 grain Accubonds has the accuracy and energy past 1100 yards
for Elk size game.

Just another opinion

J E CUSTOM

JECustom is right on. The accubond is a premium hunting bullet that has the power to kill elk within the best effective range of this cartridge and out to 1100 yards. Why load it up with a target bullet that can shoot further but well beyond where you are going to be killing stuff with it. The last big bull elk I shot at with my remington 338 RUM was with the Accubond at between 700-800 yards. He tasted really good.

+1

The 225 and 250gr Accubonds are my favorite bullets for Elk at extended distance.

In my opinion, dont use any match bullets for hunting because of unpredictable wound
channels. Lots of the guys on this site like the 300 gr SMK because of its accuracy
and dont worry about the terminal inconsistent performance. So you have to decide
which one.

My 338 rum using 250 grain Accubonds has the accuracy and energy past 1100 yards
for Elk size game.

Just another opinion

J E CUSTOM

where do you order your bullets? What kind of pouder do you use? Load? Primer?

Not trying to jack the thread, but has anyone used the new 300gr Accubond???

Not trying to jack the thread, but has anyone used the new 300gr Accubond???

I have not used them because I cannot find them and also the 338 RUM is a little small for that size bullets in my opinion (Velocity suffers unless you have a larger case like the 338/378 or larger.

The 225 to 250 grain bullets are just about optimum for the 338 RUM (Optimum is the best
trajectory with the most energy at maximum range for the type of game to be hunted).

And for casilva43= You can get them at midway,Natches, Cabelas and bass pro shops on line.
Primers are Fed 215 ms or Fed 215s and powder will vary depending on which bullet and the preference of the rifle.

There is lots of loading data for the 338 RUM.

J E CUSTOM

Warning! This thread is more than 13 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.