Break-in a new rifle

Discussion in 'The Basics, Starting Out' started by gruntnphx, Apr 3, 2013.

1. gruntnphx

gruntnphx Member

I just bought a new Savage 111 in 300 Win Mag. (don’t tell the wife) I looked through the manual and I couldn’t find any information on how to break in the barrel. Could anyone out there help me with this? Any help would be appreciated

2. denny2

denny2 Well-Known Member

3. PowellSixO

PowellSixO Well-Known Member

Straight from Savage. It's a pain, but that's what I did with my 111 7mm. Groups really improved after the break in, imho.

Savage Arms

4. J E Custom

J E Custom Well-Known Member

Log on to Lilja Barrels and under the FAQ section there is his recommended break in.

J E CUSTOM

5. wstanton

wstanton Well-Known Member

You can also go to kriegerbarrels.com and see their barrel break-in, pretty much the same as liljas.

6. roninflag

roninflag Well-Known Member

go to rifleman's journal there are complete directions there.

7. aramarine6

aramarine6 Well-Known Member

Like stated above, there are a dozens of different ways to skin a cat. I've either done the 5 shot, clean, 5 shot clean for 20 rounds... or ive done zero break in at all and I havnt noticed a difference in coppering, or fouling, ect.... However I must admit that after spending the money on GAP rebarreled action... I followed their "break in" to the T. But for factory rifle barrels... its not worth the cost of ammo imo.

8. FEENIX

FEENIX Well-Known Member

+1! I use Dan's recommendations too.

If you don't want your wife to find out, sent it my way and I'll be happy to do the break-in for you. :):D:rolleyes:gun)

Cheers!

Ed

9. gruntnphx

gruntnphx Member

Thank you everyone for the advice. I will let you know how it shoots when I get to the range. Thanks again.