Brass weight... How important?

Took 50 fired Hornady Creedmoor cases and sorted them by weight and capacity. Did it a couple times. 80% of the cases sorted the same by weight as they did capacity and the ones that differed really wasn't by much. The test was repeatable.
Did the same test with 50 fired Rem 300 RUM cases. Same 80% result.
I decided that difference in weight sorted vs capacity is OK for my shooting situations.
So now I just weight sort and get on with life.
I do think weight sorting is important for low ES/SD. I also think annealing after every firing is important too.

26wssm Imp, fitted chamber. Capacity designed to and matching 260AI.
This was 25wssm Win reloading brass (different than factory loaded), which was not expensive at the time. And before you assume problem brass, keep in mind that I pulled 3 barrels at ~1800rds each with the same 80 cases(65-70 reloads). There are things to learn right there.

Last edited:
thanks mike
did you guys read the reload count per pc ?
26wssm Imp, fitted chamber. Capacity designed to and matching 260AI.
This was 25wssm Win reloading brass (different than factory loaded), which was not expensive at the time. And before you assume problem brass, keep in mind that I pulled 3 barrels at ~1800rds each with the same 80 cases(65-70 reloads). There are things to learn right there.

Warning! This thread is more than 5 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.