Brass trimming question

lineman2002

I've got a 22-250 I've been playing with I've found that it shoots 4 almost in the same hole when brass is 1.905 my question is does this really matter whe brass is trimmed to 1.905 or would it make a big difference for it to be trimmed 1.907 if so I need trimmer this hand trimming is for the birds!

Well I am never surprised by what works and what don't work. So I would never say never. However it has been my experience that once the case is fireformed and sitting concentric in the chamber and once the bullet is seated nice and straight in the case neck the actual length of the neck is of minor importance as long as it is not too long for the chamber or excessively short.
What you may be seeing is that once you have trimmed them they are nice and square across the case mouth and this assists accurate chamfering and accurate bullet seating , and accurate neck sizing and that does help on target accuracy.
It is amazing how many reloaders miss the importance of a neat squarely applied chamfer both in and out .

I've got a 22-250 I've been playing with I've found that it shoots 4 almost in the same hole when brass is 1.905 my question is does this really matter whe brass is trimmed to 1.905 or would it make a big difference for it to be trimmed 1.907 if so I need trimmer this hand trimming is for the birds!

Shoot it and find out...best and only way to find out for any rifle. I have a 22-250 I have never trimmed the brass for, and it shoots in the low .2's all day long. In fact I seldom trim brass even when it is brand new. Never had a problem getting my guns to shoot well. But mine are hunting guns not target, so a .5 gun is accurate enough for me.

I check my length before loading, but don't worry with a little variation in case length. Of course the goal is to minimize variables. For hunting loads I don't think it matters much.

Warning! This thread is more than 13 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.