Brass storage

DXHI

Guys I'm getting OCD in my older years.. How do y'all keep brass organized and stored out of the way but within easy reach

Tupperware, coffee cans, mtm or similar ammo boxes are all good methods. Most of the time, I leave them in my MTM box after going to the range and load them straight out of the box. Cast bullets go in tin coffee cans and get a label, primers are stacked in accordance to size since I load SR, LR, SP, and LP. Jacketed bullets stay in their boxes and are separated by caliber and weight.

Ziplock bags labeled with a Sharpie, and then stuffed into surplus ammo cans. They seal up nice and are waterproof. The Ziplock bags add an extra moisture barrier, along with being cheap and easy to keep them separated. On each bag, I also list how many times the brass in the bag have been fired, and usually keep them separated by brand, caliber, and times fired.

Example, I put all the Nosler 7mm RemMag brass that's been fired 3x in the same bag. And Hornady Match .308 Win 2x fired in another bag. Then I put the 7mm RemMag brass in the 7mm RemMag ammo can. Then the .308 Win in the .308 Win ammo can. Etc...

Ziplock bags and sticky notes (folded over on itself) here.

For each caliber/rifle I use gallon size to keep my stock in and note its status (i.e. virgin, fully prepped, number of firings, annealed (or needs it), trimmed, etc.) on a sticky note.

As I use the "stock" I drop them into a qt size bag. This goes inside the gallon bag with a sticky note and info about the fired rounds (i.e. "1st firing after annealing" or just 1st, 2nd, 3rd, etc.).

This has worked good for me for a number of years. The notes are the most important aspect for me because they keep me "in the know" about what's going on with my brass and what needs to be done. I shoot multiple calibers, like a lot of members here, and running several rifle projects, in different stages, at the same time can get overwhelming (i.e. working up a load for a 6.5-284Norma, prepping brass for the .300WinMag, fireforming brass for the .270 AllenMag and loading for someone else). It's a labor of love though. :)

I keep the bags in the bottom of a cabinet, along with all my dies, and out of sight when not in use. Bullets and powder reside in two different and separate cabinets. JohnnyK.

MTM for my frequently used calibers brass, new and seldom used in Ziplock, bricks of primers and some boxed bullets are vacuum-sealed.

loaded stuff stays on a shelf segregated by cartridge with smaller stuff to bigger stuff in order...

Loose brass is bagged or in boxes... properly labeled of course... tossed under my bench in a high dollar crap in the corner fest

Also forgot to mention, that I keep the loaded ammo in Frankford Arsenal boxes. They're very inexpensive and you can get them online from Midway.

Loaded ammo and brass that is being used is in ammo boxes stored in its own cabinet. 223 and 45 acp brass is in 5-gallon buckets stacked under my brass cleaning table. New brass is in factory bags or boxes. Other brass is in gallon zip lock bags with number of firings, headstamp and the state of prep that it's in on the bag in sharpie. My "reloading bench" is a heavy old metal desk with a riser on it, brass and open 1lb powder cans are stored in the lower drawers, brass prep tools in the others. Bullets, primers and dies are in the cabinets on the risers, Unopened powder on top of it.

I, too, use ziplock bags to keep my brass in, new stuff stays in the original bags, fired cases get separate bags depending on times fired and which rifle it was fired in.
As to times fired, I have a system that uses different colored markers to mark the head of the case, a simple look tells me how many firings it has had.

Cheers.

Small plastic bins for Cartridge type. Ziplocs to separate times fired,sized and primed etc.. Store the bins above bench within easy reach. I label the crap out of everything!

Attachments

• 032.jpg
    032.jpg
    133.5 KB · Views: 81
Warning! This thread is more than 8 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.