Storage question

Discussion in 'Long Range Hunting & Shooting' started by rbecker08, Feb 20, 2010.

1. rbecker08

rbecker08 Active Member

I have two bolt action rifles and have lived alone for years so just had trigger locks and kept them locked in cases. Now my wife is moving in and I was going to put bolt locks on them as well however this means that the bolts will always have to be open. Sorry for the lack of technical knowledge but there is a spring that pushes the firing pin forward and with the bolt open this is compressed.......is the bad on the bolt to be stored like this for potentially extended periods. Thanks

2. Russ Hatch

Russ Hatch Well-Known Member

That would be the firing pin spring. I would not store it in the compressed position for long periods of time as it might take a "set".:D

3. J E Custom

J E Custom Well-Known Member

For long term storage I would recomend removing the bolt and placing them in a safety
    deposit box. Most thieves will not take a rifle that doesn't have a bolt because it is nearly
    impossible to sell and if you are an occasional shooter or you have children it is very safe.

You should de cock the firing pin for storage also.

Next thing to look at is buying a gun safe.

J E CUSTOM

Last edited: Feb 20, 2010
  4. Chas1

Chas1 Well-Known Member

+1 with J E Custom. My kids are grown up now but, when they lived at home I'd take the bolts out and lock them up in a mini safe. I wouldn't leave the spring in the compressed state.

5. Natty Bumpo

Natty Bumpo Well-Known Member

Just curious; where was your wife living previously. Sounds like a nice arrangement.

6. 3fingervic

3fingervic Well-Known Member

If I was strapped for cash and needed some way to store my guns, I would buy a cheap stack-on safe ($100).