Brass shot different amount of times..mix them?

shawnb

Hey guys. I have 50 rounds of norma brass for my 7mm rem that have been fired 4 times and another 50 fired 3 times. They all need to be annealed and im wondering if i can anneal them, trim, size with a body die and neck size? Will there be much difference for long range? They are from the same batch and were loaded a little hot. But i found a mild load now and hoping to save this brass. Its pretty expensive in canada.

Thanks in advance

They're all fireformed & as long as they're from the same lot you shouldn't see any differences.
I would wonder why they all 'need to be annealed' so soon.

Thats kinda what i was thinking also. I believe they need to be annealed because i was running hot loads and the one that have been fired 4 times needed a neck bushing a couple thou smaller to hold the bullet like it did before.

Ive since switched powder and run a mild charge for the same velocity. So i think i will get a lot more reloads before needing to anneal. And ive never annealed before so im assuming i need to

Any thoughts mike?

Well you can anneal all you like, it's your choice. But don't be surprised with a step change in load results at this point.
It would take details in your chamber, load, & sizing process to ring out what you're seeing & why.

Really another subject though..

It's mostly just preference as to whether you mix different brass that has been fired different
amounts and pressures.

I don't recomend it because if there is a problem you wont know which batch is giving you the
issue.

I would anneal the brass with the most firings to see if it makes a difference and save the
less fired brass just in case.

With different neck tension your pet load may not perform.

Just an opinion.

J E CUSTOM

Years ago my 338 lm at 4 firings I needed to drop one bushing size to get the neck tension to hold a bullet. I then started annealing and went back to the origional bushing. Also at 4 firings before annealing I started to notice some leakage on the necks. As far as I could tell the annealing process didn't change my load. But it I did feel it gave me consistant neck tension and reduce leakage at the necks.

Jeff

well i still havent tried annealing them yet to test it. but i did drop my load by 1 grain and it stayed the same for velocity. im hoping this helps the brass last a little longer. time will tell.

and thanks for the responses guys

Warning! This thread is more than 12 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.