Brass for a 280 rem

Shortmagman

When it is too cold to shoot or you think it is too cold you can come up with some different things to do. I have loaded for my Remington CDL in 280 Rem for sometime. During that time I have used brass made by different companies. It was not too long ago that I noticed that I seemed to get pressure signs earlier when I used Nosler brass. I decided to see if I could determine the difference in volume between Nolser, Remington, and Norma brass. I know that what I found is not the final answer since my sample size is so small, but it did prove to me what we have always heard-when you change brass you need to start over and work up.

Here is what I did and what I found. I checked the volume of the cases by using H414. I filled the cases to the top, and then I weighed the H414. I did this for three different case from the same lot with a spent primer in the pocket. This is how much H414 each case held in grains.

Nosler case one case two case three Average
68.6 66.4 67.5 67.5

Norma 70.7 71.2 70.3 70.8

Rem 69.9 69.5 68.2 69.2

It was very clear that the Nosler case was smaller in volume.

I then weighed the case without the spent primer to see what I could fine.This is their weight in grains.

Nosler case one case two case three Average

199.6 200.0 199.8 199.8

Norma 181.7 181.9 181.4 181.6

Rem 195.5 195.3 195.3 196.36

What I found was quite interesting. We have all been asked why weigh your cases. The answer has been that the heavier case have less volume. My little experiment seems to show that. I think it does prove that when you change cases start over and work the load up.

I found out years ago the hard way all brass was not the same.I had a load worked up for my 280 with Remington brass.I picked up some once fired Federal brass.The first shot with the Federal locked her up.I learned real fast to stick with one type of brass for a certain gun

Changing brass can change a load and make unsafe pressure. Loading H 4831 loads in 7mm Rem Mag. I had a load that I could only put this load in Federal or Winchester brass, Remington brass would not hold this load and allow the bullet to seat. I have seen just changing lots of the same manufacture change case volume. In loading my 308 Win. I found Military cases the heaviest, Remington next, and Win. and Federal usually tied for the lightest and most volume. Check twice and lower load to be sure.

Warning! This thread is more than 10 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.