brass doing funny things

mmk

Hi everyone. My brother just bought a 30-378 wetherby mark v accumark that we've been playing with and trying to get shooting. He bought some Norma brass and some 185 berger vlds. We loaded a few with 101gr of h1000 and seated them to the same length off the ogive as factory accubonds. When he fires them its like the brass at the shoulder shrinks and dimples. Ive never seen anything like it or herd of anything like it. Has anyone seen this before? Thanks.

Attachments

• IMG_20141014_142655837.jpg
    IMG_20141014_142655837.jpg
    36.7 KB · Views: 81
I would guess that you are loading the rounds too light and would bump the charge up a couple grains. Try 103 or 104 grains and see if it does it again. My guess is you will pressure out around 110-111 grains with that bullet.

Reuben

My guess is you don't have enough pressure to make the case seal. I have also seen oil or cleaning fluid in the chamber cause this. Matt

+1 on the others ideas on what is going on.

I'd get your charge up to the point where you only have soot on the case neck and no dimpling at all on the case as you are close to collapsing your cases from low start pressure. Drop the air temp a good bit and you could get gas and unburned powder in the action.

There are a couple of things that make brass dimple. Too much lube in a reloading die, and too light of a charge. I agree with the rest, bump that powder charge up and you'll be fine.

Warning! This thread is more than 10 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.