Funny velocity maybe?

Ksmirk

Well finally got the 284 Win to go boom this past weekend and well the first few rounds through the chrony had me puzzled! pleased yes but puzzled. My whole intention of this trip was to get some load data, velocities, and season the barrel and see how everything worked. I loaded some 175gr. Sierra BTSP since they were cheap and I was not looking to sling my A-Maxes away. I am going to post my powder and results but please if you try these work your way up!

Bullet = Sierra BTSP (pn1940)
Powder = Hybrid100V
Primer = GM210M
Case = Winchester
COL = 3.015"

50.0 = 2715fps
50.5 = 2742fps
51.0 = 2785fps
51.5 = 2815fps
52.0 = 2816fps
52.5 = 2854fps
53.0 = 2849fps

Now I'm new to the 284 Win but these velocities seem a tad high! I checked the chrony with a known 243 load and it clocked 5fps slower than normal so I'm a bit puzzled by this, anyone out there play with a 284 Win? Now I had absolutely no pressure signs at all which I really was thinking I would hit but nothing! Your thoughts on this? Later,

Kirk

It could very well be the powder. Hodgdon Hybrid100V is still quite new and It may be your rifle likes it alot. How is accuracy?

I have a .30-06 AI with a 26" Kreiger bbl that will shoot quite a bit faster than the Quick load data for the load I'm shooting. About 75-100fps faster. And I have the same situation with no pressure signs with comercial brass. Using Fireformed Military is a diffrent story. I can get the same velocity with 1 grain less.

The listed velocitys are just guide lines anyway. usually the real loads are on the slower side.

Dan

Also what was the weather like? If it was cold or cooler, I'd watch those loads on a hot day, maybe the pressure signs would show up then.

Last edited:
Ok here's the info, if you could plug it in and see what comes up I could at least have something to compair too.

McGowen 26" 1-9 twist barrel
Mauser action
SAMMI min chamber reamer throated for 162 A-Max at a 3.100" COL
Winchester brass
Federal GM210M primers
Hodgdon Hybrid 100 V powder

Loads were the same as above but used Sierra (1940) BTSP bullets seated to 3.015 COL .015 off the lands, if you need anything else let me know. The Hodgdon website stated a compressed load at 53gr. these loads were not even close to compressed! the Hogdon site states the following:

Hybrid 100V
2.930 COL
Min. 48.0gr 2472fps 40,300CUP
Max. 53.0gr 2702fps 47,400CUP

I don't know the conversion to get PSI from CUP I'm sure it would make a bit more sense to me. Thanks for the help this has got me a little baffled. Later,

Kirk

Dan, accuracy is not too bad nothing I would brag about but they don't look like shotgun patterns :) this is a new barrel and from using them on other rifles they normally don't come in until several rounds are fire thru them! the bullets were from the seconds bin at Sierra and while I've had good luck with the .308 168's I did get a bad batch that would not print for squat! had 5 of other loads from a different trip and they worked great. I'll be out of town this weekend but plan on doing some more testing with the 162 A-Maxes so well see what happens then might break into the RL-17 to see what happen. Later,

Kirk

Ok here's the info, if you could plug it in and see what comes up I could at least have something to compair too.

McGowen 26" 1-9 twist barrel
Mauser action
SAMMI min chamber reamer throated for 162 A-Max at a 3.100" COL
Winchester brass
Federal GM210M primers
Hodgdon Hybrid 100 V powder

Loads were the same as above but used Sierra (1940) BTSP bullets seated to 3.015 COL .015 off the lands, if you need anything else let me know. The Hodgdon website stated a compressed load at 53gr. these loads were not even close to compressed! the Hogdon site states the following:

Hybrid 100V
2.930 COL
Min. 48.0gr 2472fps 40,300CUP
Max. 53.0gr 2702fps 47,400CUP

I don't know the conversion to get PSI from CUP I'm sure it would make a bit more sense to me. Thanks for the help this has got me a little baffled. Later,

Kirk
First off, there is no conversion for psi to cup or cup to psi.
QuickLoad shows a velocity of 2835 with the listed bullet and a pressure of 69,449 psi at 53g of Hybrid 100V.
48g gives 2614 f/s at 51,142 psi.
The max that QuickLoad gives is 51.6g at a velocity of 2774 and pressure of 63,751.
Hodgdon uses a col of 2.8 inches so that will make a difference in the volume of the case.

K,
I've shot 1000's of rounds of .284 in LR competition in the last several years, mostly with 180 grain bullets. I use just under 51 grains of H4350 and average around 2820 fps. If I maxed it out with this powder I could get 2850+, but I try to avoid pressure.
I know this is a different powder than your using, I just wanted to offer this data point to show that velocities like that, with bullets in that class are not uncommon for the .284 Win.
Take care,
-Bryan

I've heard velocities pretty high but they are normally in 30" tubes, that makes me feel much better that the velocity I'm getting is kinda ok. With these bullets and thier high BC I don't need to push them to awful fast to get them out to some longer distances with ease so I'm not a speed freak just thought what I was getting might be a bit high. Folks thanks for the help now for a long needed trip out of town for the weekend. Later,

Kirk

Warning! This thread is more than 16 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.