Brass Availability, Fustrated!

Dano1

Well, Now the time to rant I guess...... for all of us looking for hard to find brass.

I'm gearing up to load for a 7STW that I bought. I thought that there were enough of them out there that brass wouldn't be a problem... Well looks like only 2 companies make it now. Nosler and Remington. I realized that I may have to pay a bit more for this cartridge, but my goodness, Nosler wants almost $55 for 25 cases. Remington seems to be a better buy, I have no problem prepping the cases. And I'm on a budget...

I'm saddened to see that Winchester doesn't make them any more either. To make matters worse, I was in my local Sportsman's Warehouse and They didn't even have a single box of Loaded Ammo for the 7STW. I know there are more "new Fangled" Cartridges out there, but is the STW dead??? It's looking like it to me. I feel sorry for the guys that don't hand load this one.

If it came down to it I could make my own cases, I'm not unfamiliar with Wildcatting, just thought that this one could be easier.....

OK, I'm done ranting.... What's your Brass Rant....

Dan

Looks like Rem 8mm mag is the parent cartridge. If you dont mind a bit more case prep. probably get away with 1 inexpensive intermediate neck die. Although 8mm rm isn't exactly falling off trees anymore! Just a thought and a good start for Wildcating.

My rant is advertising something you don't have, not having a clue when you will have it.
If Nosler has ordered brass from someone else they have a specified date to expect it. That date can be communicated to the buying public. It would beat the lies and attitude they give out currently.

I guess that I should clarify... I do know where to find remington brass for the STW, out of the 4 sites that I can find that actually carry it Midway is the cheapest. I just wish there were more choices, or head stamps, Federal, Winchester, Hornady, etc....

Remington will do, but if Hornady made it I'd be thrilled.

Dan

I was suprised to see how much RUM brass has gone up. Thats really ridiculous (SP?). I was also suprised to see that STW brass was actually cheaper.

I load for my Brother-in-law and my Friend who both have .300 RUMs, I never had to buy the brass, just load it. Brass prices has kept me from getting one.

Dan

300 RUM brass is everywhere...the 338 RUM is impossible to find. I have some back ordered at Cabela's and they just keep moving back there expected receiving date.

Well, If they quit making STW brass, There are lots of other cases to make them out of, 8mm Rem mag is first, .300 H&H, .375 H&H, .416 Rem Mag, .458 Lott. The list goes on, and the price goes up. I guess my rant may have been some what petty. The more I think of it the more I just grateful that Remington still makes the Brass.

I usually keep 300 Rounds for each rifle I have, I don't think I'll be able to do this right away for this one though.

Dan

Sanjuan...I see your fustration! That's gotta suck.

300 RUM brass is everywhere...the 338 RUM is impossible to find. I have some back ordered at Cabela's and they just keep moving back there expected receiving date.
Just sharing your pain-Cabelas told me about a month ago mine was "on the truck". Not so much-computer glitch. I sent Nosler a negative e-mail (stopped short of mentioning anything about anybodies momma) they replied it's "in house" and "shipping to distributers within 2 weeks". I'm embarrassed to even repeat it, don't know if it helps, or if misery just loves company.
What do you do with a $3000 paper weight?
I considered months ago just having our smith just ream it out to the "Edge", he's got the reamer, and a few of my partners run it, but decided the turn around time was too long. LOL.
My order is about half paid for, I tried to cancel the order, but I paid with gift cards I got for christmas the clerk got an "oh hell how do I do this look" that I interpreted to mean if it went any farther my deposit was toast as well.
Only in America-Everybody have a great Labor Day, I'm working, but taking heart hunting season has arrived. I've got friends bear hunting, and my Foxpro just left for Idaho with my partner, his boy, and wolf tags. It's a small bump life is good today.

The Law of "whats up with this" firmly states that when new rifles are available components are not and when components are availabel rifles are not. I have a nice only 7 rounds fired 300 RUM SPS that is very seriously getting traded for a nice used action (probably an older Bat)

Warning! This thread is more than 13 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.