brand/length/twist opinion

Bouieboy

I'm fixing to order a barrel for my Remington model seven, 7 mm-08. Currently it has a 22" Douglas that, for some reason, has stopped grouping tight. The contour has got to stay around the same as what's on there now (Douglas #4/rem contour #5). I'm leaning strong towards Bartlein, with a #3 contour; 24"-26"; with a 1-9" twist. I will be using 139 grain to 168 grain bullets, looking for accuracy out to 1000 yards. There are other barrels that I will consider, because I haven't totally made up my mind. Looking for opinions for optimum performance in the 7 mm-08. Other barrels that I'm considering are...Brux, Krieger, and Obermeyer. If it's not important which of these barrels I choose, (they all look great to me) then suggestions on optimum barrel length (for the highest fps with accuracy). Note...I don't want more than a 26" barrel. I'll appreciate any input.

Have you considered a "Savington" barrel from CBI sold through Northland Shooters Supply ? It attaches with a barrel nut and comes completely finished for quite a bit less than a "regular" Remington barrel with a shoulder.

The only problem is that the lead time is the same as for any other custom barrel currently. If you are really lucky, Jim might have something in stock, since he just got in a big shipment of CBI barrels. You will have to open up the inletting for the nut right in front of the receiver, but that is no big deal.

For most all 7mm calibers, it appears that 1:9 is the magic number, unless you're shooting really really heavy bullets.

I like Douglas barrels, that's strange your's quit shooting right. Couldn't you have it cut back from the threads & have it rethreaded and rechambered to cut the throat out, if that could be the problem.

Rock Creek's are also good. Pretty much any of the major manufacturers will be a good choice.

I've never heard of savington, I guess I'll give them a little look. As to my Douglas, I had Shane Elder inspect it and he polished the throat. He said if that didn't fix the problem, he'd order a new barrel. Shane is so busy with his other business, it'd take over a year to get my rifle back. That's why I'm getting the barrel myself. Also, since he lives in western arkansas and I'm in southern mississippi, I'll have someone local do the work...Hopefully, Dixie precision rifles in Brandon, MS. I really wanted input about the bartlien giving me optimum performance in a 24"-26" in a 7mm-08.

Sorry, pulling your leg. People don't know what to call Remington barrels that headspace with the nut. Jim from NSS who came up with the concept called them Rem/Age. Someone else called them a Savington and I liked that better...

Here is the thread from his listing on Savageshooters.com when he introduced this product: Remington - Pre-Fit Rem/Age Barrels

You can find his contact details here

Jim Briggs
Northland Shooters Supply
Phone - 763/682-4296 - BEST WAY TO CONTACT ME

Fax - 763/682-6098
Mailing address:
PO Box 333
Buffalo, MN 55313

I'm not going to bother with an email address, because Jim does not bother with Email too much. But call him on the number listed during office hours CST and you will get great service.

Good luck getting a Rock, I've had a couple on order for going on three yrs. Here is a few off the excuses.

They are being rifled.
They are being contoured.
They are being lapped
Since it has taken so long I will come in and do them myself this weekend and send them to you for free.
Mike f----ked up the rifling, will re-do them and get them to you pronto.

I'm still waiting. Well not really, I gave up a long time ago.

westclissf - Does the stock have to be opened up for the barrel nut? Can I use a regular H-S 700 Remington stock?

It is going to depend on what diameter shoulder the original barrel had. Savage has a 1.050 thread OD + the diameter of the nut. The Remington tenon is 1.062x16tpi in addition to which it has a shoulder. If you measure the base of your Remington barrel and then compare that dimension to the OD of a Savage nut, you will know if any inletting is needed. Typical Remington contours have a 1.2" or 1.25" barrel shank diameter and for either of those one should be very close indeed to the diameter of the barrel nut.

Checked a smooth nut I took off a recent barrel and it was 1.350" OD. So given the 1.20 or 1.25" barrel shanks that looks like at least 0.050" a side that has to be clearanced for the nut x about 1/2" in length then tapering out to the 1.050" barrel diameter.

Warning! This thread is more than 11 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.