BPCR 44-77 data needed

ohnomrbillk

I have a remington rollingblock I believe to be in this caliber. CH4D makes dies, and I can use 43 mauser cast bullets, but does anyone know a good source for brass? Thanks in advance.
wk

WK

If its the 44-77 sharps/Remingtion bottle neck case the
brass will be hard to find.

You can measure the old cases if you have one or get the case
dimensions from CH4D and find a substitute case that can be
sized and trimed with the right case head diameter.(There are
a lot of old straight sided rimmed cases that are still available.

It could be a 45 calibre case necked down to 44 if so there should
be plenty brass for it.

J E CUSTOM

Go to Welcome To Buffalo Arms Co. They have everything that you will need. Before you order any bullets you need to slug your bore to see what size you will need. Those old rifles in 44-77 come with a wide verity of bore sizes. Most measure over .450 . The SPG Lubricants BP Cartridge Reloading Primer,(If you do not have one you need to get one.) says that a very soft cast .446 bullet will bump up from the explosion of black powder and still give good accuracy. They list a load consisting of a Ballard Custom 414 grain 1-40 tin/lead alloy bullet sized .446 inch lubed with SPG lube with 75 grs. FFg powder. Winchester LR Magnum primer, a .030 thick card wad cut from tablet backing, (I would use a .030 Walters fiber wad that you can by a 1000 at a time) place the wad on top of the powder and compress the load about 10 thousands of an inch and seat the bullet to the wad. They give 2.875 OAL for this round. Velocity 1.344 fps from an Original Sharps, 30 inch barrel with 20 inch twist.

Until the 45-70 was introduced, the 44-77 was the most popular caliber chambered in Sharps rifles. It was first offered in the Remington Rolling Block and Sharps New Model 1869. Quite a few Creedmoor style rifles by both companies were made in 44-77 caliber, so it is entirely adequate even for 1,000 yard target shooting. Countless buffalo were killed with 44-77's, so it can be rated as a fine big game round. So have fun with that old smoke poll.

You didn't say weather it was a sporting or military rifle. if it's a military rifle odds are its a 43 Spanish. The 2 cases are the same except for bullet dia. Do a chamber cast and save yourself alot of problems. The 44-77 uses a .446 bullet and the 43 Spanish a .439 bullet.
Buffalo arms is a great source for componants for BPCR, They will have all you need

Warning! This thread is more than 14 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Recent Posts