? bout Savage rear sight removal & mounts

• Thread starter Deleted member 56284
  • Start date
D

Deleted member 56284

I just got into smokeless having purchased a Savage. I have lots to learn and have really enjoyed the process. I would like to remove the rear sight but am not real sure about it. I have removed the screw and slid the top portion containing the fiber optic sight off but I am not sure how to proceed from there. Can the sliding (elevation) portion that is
"dovetailed" be driven off, and if so which direction front to back or vice versa? What will I find under that dovetail? Is the base then screwed down? I hate to go to hammering on it and mess it/or the barrel up by not understanding things.

I have already been running a Leupold on it but with Weaver bases cheapie rings. From what I have studied and read so far, is that these guns can be hard on scopes and they demand some stout bases or even a rail. I have put a rail on it and do not like how it limits access to load a primer as I have fat fingers that don't work well in the cold. That said I am thinking of using a set of the Talley one piece base/ring combos allowing more access to the loading port verses using the rail. Any thoughts/comments on the Talley's?

I did what you did and slid dovetail fiber optic off first and I believe all you need to do now is remove the screw that is holding it to the barrel. There is only one screw holding it on. It will almost fall right off when you take out the screw.

No problem taking the fiber optic part off by removing the screw and sliding it off sideways but I want to strip it to the barrel. The piece that is under that is another dovetail that affords some adjustment for elevation by moving along the line of barrel either up or down as it moves front to back. It is under that dovetail that I am interested in learning how the very base is mounted to the barrel. It has the appearance that it might be welded onto the barrel. If it is then I would just as soon leave it alone. thanks

I just went and looked at the rear sight that I took off my 10ML-II. Here is how I took the sight off.

Loosen top screw and slide the top dove tail left or right and remove.

On the side of the sight, loosen the screw and slide the ramp up and off.

Under that there is a screw holding the base to the barrel. Remove screw and sight comes right off. On my 10ML-II's, I got some filler screws to put in the barrel.

Hope this helps.

Very helpful, I got it off with no problems. I had somehow overlooked the screw on the side of the dovetail. I kept laying it on the bench on the same side and just never managed to roll it over and actually look at the other side, duh! Thanks, I am usually smarter than that. What a minute maybe the wife was right and I am not as bright as I think. Excuse me while I go apologize to her.

I got my Talley rings today. Hopefully I can figure how to open the package! rickster

Warning! This thread is more than 11 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.