Bottom metal question

4xforfun

Here is where I am at. I have a rem 700 LA in 300 wby that I baught a McMillan A-5 stock for. In it's current form I have it shooting awsome while being loaded short enough to fit in the factory remington magazine (and stock) with the 210 VLD's. I am making this a switch barrel rig and the second tube is going to be an Edge loaded WAY long and was planning on single feeding it.

Anyway, the Surgen bottom metal that came with the stock is wrong, so I am starting over as far as bottom metal. The seller recomended Surgen again, but I here the name Wyatts from time to time. My requirements is that it not be any SHORTER than the factory Rem mag and not be a big hassle for my smith to fit. Other than that i am not fussy. It would be great to be able to use clips that hold more than 3 rounds, but that is not important. I guess that it really doesn't have to have clips at all, just BDL type hinged forplate, but would like clips.

Any suggestions?

Thanks,
Tod

Last edited:
Just thinking....Probably save my self $300.00 ++ and just use the factory Remington BDL bottom metal, box and spring. Should fit in the new McMillan stock nicely. I can always change later. Use the mag with the 300 WBY and single feed the Edge.

So...never mind.

BUT....I did a little research. How big of a deal is it to install one of the Wyatt extended box mags? Once you make everything fit, can the factory bottom metal be used again? In otherwords...As a 300 WBY....use the factory bottom metal. Switch to the Edge tube and put the Wyatts box on set up for the Edge. Is that even possable? The reason for this is that I was told that I will have feed issues with the WBY when used in a mag set up for a RUM case....and visa versa. The bigger case will not feed through the smaller box cutout designed for the skinnier WBY case.

Once you open it up for the DBM I don't think you'll have much luck in trying to get factory BDL bottom metal to work in it again as the hole is not only going to be longer but considerably wider, probably in the nature of a 1/4" or more wider and longer at a minimum.

Not a big deal to install either for a competent gunsmith.

I put a Williams floor plate on my 700. It is top quality blue steel and and sized to either Rem 700 short or long action specs. It fit perfectly into my A-5 Stock. They are available from Brownells.

When I did my build I struggled back and forth with new bottom metal and finally decided to stick with the bdl floorplate and internal box. One thing I did do was modify the bottom of the follower ( those 2 tabs that stick up). I removed those and can load 5 down with one up the pipe. This also keeps the weight down as much as possible. Just thowing out another idea!!!!

Warning! This thread is more than 12 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.