Borescope of cleaning the carbon ring out of a 300 ultra

I have Sharp Shoot R Carb Out ordered to try on a very stubborn 700 300WSM that I shot a lot of RL16. I have used all the tried and true methods: JB, Iosso, C4. patch wrapped around both bronze and nylon brushes. Made some headway but still not there yet. I happened to have a friend who tried the Carb Out and he swears by it and not at it which is a very good sign!

You should try Sharp Shootr "Carb Out". It works better than anything I have used to date.
Believe it or not, I bought a gun steam cleaner that absolutely removes carbon. A little messy and certainly not as portable as a bottle of Carb Out, but the barrel is 100% clean. Bought mine at the Shot Show in Vegas and ended up selling some to other benchrest guys at our Club.

You should try Sharp Shootr "Carb Out". It works better than anything I have used to date.
Believe it or not, I bought a gun steam cleaner that absolutely removes carbon. A little messy and certainly not as portable as a bottle of Carb Out, but the barrel is 100% clean. Bought mine at the Shot Show in Vegas and ended up selling some to other benchrest guys at our Club.

What , in the world , is a gun " steam cleaner " ?
I have NEVER heard of such a thing .

DMP25-06

I asked the same question.
So here is what I found using google.
https://www.buffaloarms.com/pedersoli-guns-turbo-cleaner-with-36-wand-pedusa538
It appears to be for Black Powder rifles. I am not sure it would remove the carbon rings we have in modern sporting rifles.

I have found that if I use Tactical Advantage regularly to clean my rifles then I don't have a carbon ring to start with. After cleaning with Tactical Advantage which was formulated for the US Military to clean AR type weapons in the bolt carrier and bolt which is a known carbon nightmare. I then use Wipe Out to clean copper if needed which it is not very often.

As explained to me, at the Shot Show, by the manufacturer, heat embeds the carbon onto the steel barrel and heat will remove it. I tried one and after I saw what it did, and cleaned some other shooters (F-Class & Benchrest) barrels, ordered several more for friends that wanted one. It definitely does work, without abrasion or chemicals. The name of the unit is: JOFRE Weapons Cleaner. If you want one, I can likely still get a discount for you.

As far as Sharp Shootr "Carb Out", I am a dealer for them, and can get you whatever you may want/need.

At the risk of having to hear the howls of disagreement, here goes...cleaning carbon out of barrels,whether out of the bore/throat area,or out of the case neck area(2 different locations), is difficult at best. The carbon is layed down under high pressure/ temperature/time,and will not come out easily. It's going to take elbow grease,and it's going to come out in layers. The Carb-out works on fresh carbon,but not by patch alone in my experience. You need to use a bronze brush along with whatever "super sauce" you're using. The best/fastest carbon remover I have found to date is RB-17,with a bronze brush. The RB-17 has a gel like consistency,and will stay on your brush/bore. Having tried numerous iterations of methods I've learned there is no magic bullet. Now,IMHO, if a bronze brush was detrimental to the bore,so would a bullet be traveling down the bore,wiping the carbon and powder fouling along with it.
Having said that,that is why the carbon is so difficult to remove. In a long abused bore,it will take much time and elbow grease to clean. I believe that what happens is the various cleaners oxidize the surface of the already hard carbon,and that is why your cleaner will no longer show "color". I have a Hawkeye and a Teslong to back up my findings. I prefer the Teslong as you don't have to be hunched over the rifle for long periods,and you can take pictures easily. We are entering a new era by having borescope to really see how our cleaning methods work. I have not documented all of my results to show everyone,but plan to do so on the next "ugly" bore that comes in.

For those that have used KG-1, how does it compare to other products for addressing the carbon ring?

Those that use KG swear by the entire line (especially KG-12 copper remover)--just curious for those that have used KG-1 and wound up going to other products, or vice versa and stick with KG-1. (Since the KG line is not as well-known or used)

Last edited:
Teslong rifle borescope off amazon. Hook it up via usb to pc
And consider buying (Amazon) the set of 4 mirrors goes for $20.00 vs $20+$10 on Teslon's website. Works with an Android phone or tablet as well.

Last edited:
I deal in Sharpshootr products. You can utilize the accelerator with the tactical as well as the patch out. While they remove some light carbon, the product you want it the carb out. And to reiterate, the steam cleaner, if you know someone with one, will remove the most stubborn carbon, period.

new2mud I have tried KG products and have used it over everything I used to use.
I start with KG 1 Carbon remover,soak the barrel and stroke Nylon brush with 10-20 strokes and most of the time I'm done with carbon.
KG 12 Copper Solvent works about the same,very well,soak and brush.
Like most all here I have a shelf dedicated to solvents and don't use them anymore.
I tried Seal products and it works and smells great,best smelling solvent in town but KG products have it beat.
I got sick as a dog using Sweets 7.62 but not with KG products.
I have a Vanguard 300 weatherby mag that took hours to clean.Soak with wipe-out and let sit all night,some came out,soak it again all day,some came out but with KG products I'm done within 1 hour and that includes borescoping the rifle to make sure it all came out.
My new cleaning products come from KG Industries.Youtube has a video on using it.

I deal in Sharpshootr products. You can utilize the accelerator with the tactical as well as the patch out. While they remove some light carbon, the product you want it the carb out. And to reiterate, the steam cleaner, if you know someone with one, will remove the most stubborn carbon, period.
I've recently started using Sharp Shooter carb out it's the cat's *** for getting carbon out of a barrel

Here's what I use for cleaning carbon deposits out of my Barrel. I also use Wipeout and was told it would clean out the Carbon. It does not remove the Carbon at all. I spray this in and let it sit for a while. Run a few patches and reapply if necessary. I use Brass brushes or nylon and the carbon comes out pretty easy.

Then I clean and go with Wipeout to get everything else.
Power Tune.jpg

Warning! This thread is more than 5 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.