Bore Scope Help

Southern 62

Borrowed a friends bore scope to see if I'm really getting my bore clean on my 6.5 Prc. It's a Proof Carbon. I'll say up front I don't know all there is to rifle bores. Iv read so much about Carbon Rings that I just had to take a look. Iv used Butches Bore Shine cleaning it. After looking with the bore scope not sure if it's really clean. So here I am knowing I'm sure there will be folks way more knowledgeable to help me with what I'm seeing. The four pics are from the breech to the crown in that order. Rifle has around 150 rounds through it if that helps. Thanks for the help.
05A1837E-0B39-47C5-BAB3-078B25F26C63.png
0D3A8F31-D12B-46B7-97B5-02AE2C31F5C2.png
4AFB01FF-77BB-49D2-B612-7C67CA51D5F0.png
48CA17B9-E3DD-4075-AAD8-FFE84AD60F9D.png

Just wondered why close to the chamber didn't look as clean as it does closer to the muzzle. OCD can be a curse. Thought it could be Carbon iv read about.

I dont see how you could possibly have a carbon ring with only 150rds on a new barrel. Your pics look great. Keep the borescope its good to check how well you clean. Clean the chamber to keep carbon away....

Heres a pic of a really bad carbon ring buildup (same location as your first pic)
2022-02-05  14h 45m 32s___1_s.jpg

I'm a relative noob to the bore scope. Takes a while to begin to understand and interpret what you see. Have had a bad barrel "appear" to be better than a good one. lol It's another tool in the tool chest. If it causes undue stress, get rid of it. I bought it to assess barrels and find I don't know anything, but it certainly helps in the cleaning process.

Last edited:
View attachment 454737
Some of my best shooting barrels look like crap on a bore scope.
I totally get that. I have a Remington 788 in 7-08 that shoots great and iv only cleaned it once. No telling what it looks like!!! The difference between pic 2&3 is what diving me nuts lol🤪😂 Can't help it. Just the way I am. Why the difference. If not carbon or copper what is it?

Always gets better nearer the muzzle. Difficult to clean the bottom of the grooves. Even if you get the "flat" clean, the corners are almost impossible.

It's another tool in the tool chest.

But it can cause discomfort in the user when they, the uninitiated, lack the knowledge to discern goodness or problems. Your photographs are good quality so I would hang onto it just in case. You do NOT have to use it all the time, only when something doesn't seem right.

I use one when I check chambers right after I cut them. This is not for the faint of heart though! :eek:;)

Best of all enjoy your shooting!

:)

I use one when I check chambers right after I cut them. This is not for the faint of heart though!
You're absolutely right! OMG, I have a Savage Desert Tactical in 6.5 Creedmoor. Shoots fantastic, 4.5" at 565 yds with factory ammo. Copper fouls something terrible cuz the chatter marks on the tops of the lands look like a roller coaster.