Bore Inspection

Those pics are way clearer than my 5 year old Video scope and my neighbors Lyman put together.
YZ-80 our gunsmith will check the bores on all my rifles but at a cost.Just trying defray the costs.Also I could have sworn I had gotten all the carbon out of my 300 weatherby mag but I still had a good amount left and a good video scope would have let me know not to shoot the rifle until I got ALL the carbon out.
Our local gunsmith said if you fire a hot round through a bore with carbon already in the bore you compress it to the point of possibly never getting all the carbon out and a video scope may prevent that,I hope.
Old Rooster

The only downside I have found to this is, I spend too much time looking at stuff through it. I've done wasted nearly 2 hours scoping stuff out when I could have been getting everything packed up for the match tomorrow. But at least I know what the inside of my nose looks like now.

Our local gunsmith said if you fire a hot round through a bore with carbon already in the bore you compress it to the point of possibly never getting all the carbon out and a video scope may prevent that,I hope.
Old Rooster
Seems like this would be an argument for more frequent cleaning, no? Maybe the guys that clean after every range session are on to something?

Seems like this would be an argument for more frequent cleaning, no? Maybe the guys that clean after every range session are on to something?

The advantage to a bore scope is to tell you what or if you need to do something differently. It some times changes when you change bullet makers because of the alloy they use or the powder you try.

I like a clean barrel but i don't want to over clean or under clean so the scope also keeps an eye on me. I once tried some copper bullets and cleaned for 4 hours before I got it clean using the bore scope. without it, it felt clean after 3 or 4 bushings and patching and i would have never realy cleaned it without the bore scope.

J E CUSTOM

A video scope is just one tool to clean your rifles properly.
A quality Bore Guide is also a good investment as well as a quality cleaning rod.
Since I am retired and have little to do anymore I clean my rifles and also friends bring rifles that they haven't cleaned in years so I'll use the new video scope on many different rifles and shotguns.
YZ-80 that's my thoughts exactly!I have always cleaned my guns after use but I know folks that don't and still they get good service out of their rifles.
I'll never change and too old to try.
Old Rooster

Thanks for the info guys. And thanks JD. I was just looking at that model. The Hawkeye it way out of my needs but seeing the pics, I believe the Teslong will fulfill my needs.

A video scope is just one tool to clean your rifles properly.
A quality Bore Guide is also a good investment as well as a quality cleaning rod.
Since I am retired and have little to do anymore I clean my rifles and also friends bring rifles that they haven't cleaned in years so I'll use the new video scope on many different rifles and shotguns.
YZ-80 that's my thoughts exactly!I have always cleaned my guns after use but I know folks that don't and still they get good service out of their rifles.
I'll never change and too old to try.
Old Rooster
I agree. I always use a bore guide, either Tipton or Dewey rods and nylon brushes. The paradigms around cleaning practices are hard to break. Someday, our maker will reveal to us which method is best!

Thanks for the info guys. And thanks JD. I was just looking at that model. The Hawkeye it way out of my needs but seeing the pics, I believe the Teslong will fulfill my needs.

Just be sure to get the one with the angled lens/mirror for better viewing of surfaces.

J E CUSTOM

Hi Guys: Since I get this forum in my email box each day, I came to read the post on the barrel break-in. Then I noticed the "Inspection" post below it. I am a shooter who was frustrated with the prices of expensive bore scopes; but knowing the great benefits of owning one, I contacted two off-shore endoscope makers. Teslong stood out as the better company to work with. Since these nice young guys at Teslong cannot own guns (Hong Kong), there was a great deal of consulting between us to try to get the scope out for the summer shooting season. We missed my July 4th target date, but not by much. The goal is to get a quality, yet reasonably priced bore scope into the hands of all of us. I am glad the word is getting out without it just coming from the efforts of myself and a few of my friends. I really think you will enjoy and profit from this overdue product. Right now it is available on Amazon, but my next step is to be contacting the larger shooting supply houses soon to see if they want to stock the Teslong RIFLE Bore scope. Make sure to use the word "rifle" in the search box, since Teslong has a couple of other bore scopes with way too large camera heads to be of any use to the rifle owner. Feel free to post here if you have any questions:)

Looking thru a scope for the first time can be very confusing. You're looking at things on a scale most are just not used to seeing. I have a small angled scope that won't reach the middle of a rifle barrel but does the two most important parts, the muzzle & chamber/throat area very nicely. Being trained with scopes helps a lot, as I used them at work quite often as an aircraft inspector, usually in the engines. Taking your time is key plus you should insert the scope and do the inspection on the way out. It's easier to move the scope around that way. Having picture capability is also nice as you can post the pictures and ask! I've found a badly fire checked throat on my CHeetah (no real surprise there) and radial cracks just forward of the forcing cone on my Ruger Redhawk (twice! Ruger ultimately replaced the pistol) so they are definitely worth having. Cleaning can bit of a bear to deal with since just about anything short of bare metal can be confusing. I complicate things even more by moly coating most of the bullets I use in the guns I actually need the scope on. Not much visual difference between carbon & moly!
Old Rooster says he's not going to change the way he does things so he really doesn't need a scope... that's kind of the point, isn't it, to show you potential mistakes in cleaning methods?
A scope can be a great tool. It can show you a lot of things but you still need to put in the time to learn to know what you're seeing and then figure out the potential causes so you can fix them. Or just to tell you the throat is erroded enough it's time for a set back or new barrel. Of course, the accuracy should have shown you that without the scope. No matter what the scope shows if it's still shooting well, it's perhaps not as critical as you thought! My buddies WWII 8mm is proof of that... it shoots just fine for his purposes (iron sights for deer, which he seems to have no trouble killing). After shooting at my range, I offered to clean it for him. The first patch I ran down the barrel literally came out shredded to pieces! The scope showed the barrel was badly corroded, pitted and just generally ate up! But it still shoots as well as he can with iron sights, so why worry about it? There are definitely ups and downs in the scope world and it's not a cure-all for anything. It's just another tool in box that can help, if you learn to use it properly & learn to interpret the the things it shows you correctly.
Cheers,
crkckr

You didn't hear this from me but CLR eats carbon like a fat boy on bacon. Now, after run alcohol over all areas treated. RE-LUBE !!!!!

DO NOT get CLR on ANY thing but bore and muzzle threads.

IF you CANT do this

disregard.

A while back on AS Alex Wheeler posted a photo of the dirtiest, fowled, fire cracked throat you've ever seen. After about 25 posts of people saying to use that barrel as a tent stake he let everyone know that barrel just set a world record group. Don't get too wrapped up in looks and let the barrel tell you by how it shoots. I use the Hawkeye but can't take photos or video, not that I need it but it would be nice. That $50 looks pretty nice !

So Buzzsaw that's the magic carbon killer you mentioned on another thread?
I'll give it a try.Did it cause any damage to the barrel tested?
crkckr I won't change my cleaning practices for my rifles after using them.Some has said they don't clean until accuracy falls off but I worry about stubborn carbon grinding into the bore and never coming out so that's why I clean after every use at the range.
I do use a video scope and ordered the new Teslong after seeing the pics.My present one is old and does not focus at all and all you get is a blurry picture,not crisp like the ones on this thread.
I too have many years behind a borescope as I used to work on industrial Turbines and using a borescope was part of an annual inspection of most turbines.I had to complete a class on Borescopes use and Turbine component's affected.
That knowledge as well as vibration surveys has given me insight into many gun related things.
Old Rooster

Warning! This thread is more than 5 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.