Bore cleaner??

After trying a few, I really like the Boretech products. Quick clean up and cold/clean bore is most consistent for my guns with it.

+ 1 on Boretech. I use their Carbon Cleaner first, then nylon brush. It is great on chamber neck , throat and muzzle brake also. Then use Eliminator and nylon brush, following instructions, repeat on heavily fouled barrels. I also like their non-brass brushes and jags to avoid false positives on copper.

Normally I use three types of solvent depending on my needs.

For break in I use Butches bore shine because it is fairly fast and does a good job (Also the barrel maker recommends it).

If I have a little time at home I like the Boretech because it also does a good job and if I have to, I can leave it over night.

For really severe fouling I use Sweets, But I wont leave it in the bore more than 10 to 15 minuets
because it is so harsh. It really cleans but should be used sparingly with caution. after cleaning with aggressive solvents I always follow up with a mild solvent cleaning to be sure and remove any of the aggressive cleaner and follow up with a lightly oiled patch for storage.

All three products do a good job it used correctly (Caution; Use any solvent as directed and they should work) some are better/faster than others so it is best that a person try several different brands to see which one works best for them.

Don't know if this will help, but the three I mentioned work well, as do others if used correctly.

J E CUSTOM

I'm also a Butch's Bore Shine and Bore Tech guy. Of the Bore Tech products I like Eliminator and Carbon Remover.

I used Butch's for break-in of my Lilja barrel, because that was what they and my gunsmith recommended. Since break-in, I now use Boretech Eliminator. I find it works faster and does a better job.

The Best I've ever used was Coppermelt. But they don't make it anymore and I now use Boretech, carbon,copper and eliminator. As well as their jags and brushes.

I tested many long ago. I would clean with one until it would bring no more blue, dry it them go back in with BoreTech. What I found was the Bore Tech would get copper that the others said was not in there. Some I tested was Butches, Shooters choice, Barnes CR10, Sweets, Montana extreme and a few others. I only use BoreTech Eliminator now. One other thing is that BTE in non ammonia so it wont harm your bore and it has a rust and corrosion protectant so you dont have to oil the bore after. This is big to me as I have found with the use of no oil many of my rifles will shot on zero the first cold shot after cleaning. No fouling is needed.

Jeff

Last edited:
This is big to me as I have found with the use of no oil many of my rifles will shot on zero the fist cold shot after cleaning. No fouling is needed.

+++1.

This is the same I have found after using many.

This is big to me as I have found with the use of no oil many of my rifles will shot on zero the fist cold shot after cleaning. No fouling is needed.

+++1.

This is the same I have found after using many.

To elaborate on this. If the rifle is going into starage for a long time I leave the bore a little damp with BTE. If I am going to hunt with it it gets dried out with several dry patches first.

Yeah, good by to the oil.

Jeff

Warning! This thread is more than 8 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.