Bolt Throw Question

msp21

I currently have Browning A-Bolt II and one of the main reasons I like this action is the short bolt throw. I want to get into long-range shooting/hunting and I have settled on a GAP rifle. Can anybody tell me about the bolt throw degree or ease of cycling the TempestV2/Defiance Deviant action and how it compares to the A-Bolt II?

The Deviant is a 90* throw, but will likely be MUCH smoother than the Abolts. Probably an exercise in futility to try and compare the two honestly. Are you looking to do a Long Action? If not the GAP Tempest has the 60* throw as well. These are just my outside observations as I've never dealt with either one, but hopefully a few members will chime in that can help you more

The slickness of Deviant actions more than makes up for the 90deg throw. Just sayin. If you haven't cycled one, you have no idea. I'd swear they're polished with the skin from the inner thighs of virgins if it wasn't gross and untrue. Same sensation though.

I currently have Browning A-Bolt II and one of the main reasons I like this action is the short bolt throw. I want to get into long-range shooting/hunting and I have settled on a GAP rifle. Can anybody tell me about the bolt throw degree or ease of cycling the TempestV2/Defiance Deviant action and how it compares to the A-Bolt II?

May want to take a look at the Curtis AXIOM and VECTOR actions. Three lug, 60* bolt, light bolt lift, 416 SS offered with DLC... smooth, smooth, smooth....

I looked at the Vector action on the Curtis website. One of the points in the description says
Fire control system "tuned" by Greg Tannel
Does Greg tune each action?

The Tempest is an excellent action I would not put the Deviant in it's class personally, the Tempest is and extremely well designed and built action with impressive features not found anywhere else. I'll get my hot little hands on a Curtis soon, looking forward to that!

I looked at the Vector action on the Curtis website. One of the points in the description says Does Greg tune each action?

Greg does not tune every action. He was instrumental in helping us design and tune the fire control system in our actions.
We manufacture every single part in our actions less the firing pin and spring. We let that up to Greg to make.
If you've ever talked to him, you will agree that he is a "professor" of fire control systems.

We had a few rifles built on the AXIOM competing in a NALRSA (North American Long Range Shooting Association) competition this past weekend in Bandera, TX. Carl Bernosky, 10 time world champion was one of them. The response was overwhelming on how smooth they were with the 60* bolt and DLC treatment. Carl said it was the smoothest action he ever used.

I've had my hands on two Curtis actions now and the Tempest would be the one I'd run, the ONLY thing that I don't like on the Tempest is the stupid bolt handle, it functions but I don't personally like it but as far as function it's one of the best three lug actions out there.

The Deviant is a 90* throw, but will likely be MUCH smoother than the Abolts. Probably an exercise in futility to try and compare the two honestly. Are you looking to do a Long Action? If not the GAP Tempest has the 60* throw as well. These are just my outside observations as I've never dealt with either one, but hopefully a few members will chime in that can help you more

Don't underestimate the smoothness of a properly blueprinted A-Bolt II action. I have a custom built off of one, and it is smoother than any of my 700's, even the blueprinted ones. And everyone knows how big of a 700 fan I am. So that should tell you something right there.

Don't underestimate the smoothness of a properly blueprinted A-Bolt II action. I have a custom built off of one, and it is smoother than any of my 700's, even the blueprinted ones. And everyone knows how big of a 700 fan I am. So that should tell you something right there.

Fair enough MudRunner, thanks for chiming in and that does say quite a bit.

I've had my hands on two Curtis actions now and the Tempest would be the one I'd run, the ONLY thing that I don't like on the Tempest is the stupid bolt handle, it functions but I don't personally like it but as far as function it's one of the best three lug actions out there.

I have been shooting a Axiom for 2.5 months in PRS matchs and it has ran great. This last weekend at the JC steel match I happened to lay down and site in next to a guy running a tempest. We both looked at each other's actions and asked if we could check out each other's because we were curious how they compared.

This was not the first tempest I had ran but the first time cycling side by side. Both are great actions. Like you I do not like the bolt handle on the tempest, it looks out of place. The tempest was smooth as I would expect from a smooth bolt design.

The Axiom was just as smooth and it's not even DLC coated, bolt handle feels more solid, both feed and extracted fine.

When behind them both they felt good, the Axiom felt more solid. Not saying the tempest is not, I think the bolt handle makes it feel that way...probably more mental than actual.

I do not like the exposed cocking pin that sticks out of the Tempest, just a looks thing for me. The owner also said he is still playing with trigger hangers to get it to feel right. It has a little bit of cock on close feel.

The tempest felt a little sticker when running because of the cerakote on it.

Both are great but I will not be selling my Axiom to buy one. Heck, how much Joel has helped people on this forum over the years, it's a no brainer to me, call Joel and order an Axiom!

If you have specific questions don't hesitate to ask, I have put this action through as many tough firings as I can to find faults.

Willys46

Warning! This thread is more than 7 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Recent Posts