bolt nob

sure shot

Guy's ware can I find one of those big bolt nobs that I see one alot of the rifles on this site for a rem 700? Do I have to thead the factory nob to install it? Thanks

Tommy
Midway has the knob your talking about. The bolt does need to be threaded to install one, but it's not an overly expensive add on. I'm sure one of the smith's here can give you a better idea of the price.
Chris

It's a Badger Bolt Knob. It's usually around $35 and a smith will charge about $25 for the install. It's a simple operation for a smith. I love mine. It's a great add on. They're aluminum as well, so it's not a lot of extra weight.

The Badger knobs are good and I charge 30.00 to install on your bolt. I also make my own style of oversized bolt knob for 30.00 with a slightly different shape.

No big on the the install. I will do it myself... Milling Machine tap &amp; die set ready to go! (Automotive Tech 14 Years) Thanks Guys... <font color="red"> </font> /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/smile.gif

Mr. Carlock , I'm intersted in your bold knob , what does it look like as opposed to the Badger unit and do you install on Savages ?

My bolt knob has more of a cone profile than a teardrop like the Badger. It can be installed on any bolt handle that has a diameter larger than .330 above the knob. I have not put one on a Savage but I am sure it wouldn't be a problem.

You can mill it square and run the tap over the square stub to thread the corners, not as neat and professional as using the hollow mill, but it will hold.
FWIW- I have a hollow mill. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/wink.gif

Thats a coincidence, i emailed Chris a week of so ago as i was having trouble locating the right sized hollow mill here in Germany, he kindly offered to get me the right tool, the darn things are expensive though. So i figure on making up a tool to do the job. Up to know i've just milled the remmy knob down some and done the rest with a file, its easy enough to do for a one off, but when it comes to a few bolts then its a lot quicker to have the right tool. Personaly i realy like the Badger bolt knob, its the perfect size, ive made my own and installed them in the past, but to be honest, it isn't worth standing at a lathe making one off bolt knobs when i can buy em for what the badger knobs go for trade. The Badger knob will fit about anything, the only problem i have found is due to the size it happens to foul a NV scope i would like to mount on a certain pig rifle, For a savage i would just swap the bolt handle with one from sharpshooters supply, although the badger knob does look smart on a savage too.
Pete

Warning! This thread is more than 19 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.