Bolt galling

cajun

So put together a savage with prefit barrel. During initial range session decided to check action screw torque and wound up having the bolt head contact the front action screw. I know but sometimes kids don't understand if it don't fit don't force it lol. Anyway put a gouge on the side of the bolt. I can polish off the ridge but it is gouged a bit. I'm guess since it's not on the front or back edges it shouldn't effect the headspace. Of course I can check it and adjust if necessary. Other than lug contact any other issues with this? I may just change out the bolt head. It's easy enough on the savage.

clean up bolt head like already suggested and use a file or dremil to shorten the screw slightly don't overdo it because there isn't a lot of threads for the front action screw. this problem comes up because of the bad fit of the front pillar, it usually is below the plastic stocks and when you torque the screw it forces the pillar to move.

So put together a savage with prefit barrel. During initial range session decided to check action screw torque and wound up having the bolt head contact the front action screw. I know but sometimes kids don't understand if it don't fit don't force it lol. Anyway put a gouge on the side of the bolt. I can polish off the ridge but it is gouged a bit. I'm guess since it's not on the front or back edges it shouldn't effect the headspace. Of course I can check it and adjust if necessary. Other than lug contact any other issues with this? I may just change out the bolt head. It's easy enough on the savage.
As always there is excellent advice here. One additional note: If you know someone in the tool & die or machinist trade, maybe they can loan you a small rock, made for use by hand, made from diamond dust. They're great for when you've got it down to the short rows. Good luck! (I did the same thing many years ago)

Yep, that's the beauty of Savage. I have a couple of PTGs (https://pacifictoolandgauge.com/sea...search_query=savage+bolt+heads&submit_search=, OMG, I do remember paying this much, though, IIRC it was around $50) I purchased 10+ years ago for when I need to replace them. Good luck

There are some who would say to replace the bolt head because it is compromised and may not be as strong. From where I stand they might have a point, but it's a really small reduction in strength, so small as to be lost in the noise, and I wouldn't bother. Only reason to replace it would be if the gall marks bother you or the bolt head is such that a PTG bolt head would be a step up in performance.

Definitely shorten the screw. I use a mill or swiss cut file for such precision work.

I'm not a Savage guy but if the front screw is contacting the bolt on any of the rifles I've worked on the first thing I look at is putting a spacer, (usually a washer), between the front bottom metal and the stock. If you are compressing the stock it may also be compromising the magazine well fit and you want to keep that contact from being too tight as it may put upward pressure on the receiver and change the bedding contact.

I'm not a Savage guy but if the front screw is contacting the bolt on any of the rifles I've worked on the first thing I look at is putting a spacer, (usually a washer), between the front bottom metal and the stock. If you are compressing the stock it may also be compromising the magazine well fit and you want to keep that contact from being too tight as it may put upward pressure on the receiver and change the bedding contact.
So this is an older wood stock savage. It actually has a plastic insert and a washer behind it. I've got a B&C on order for it with a full bedding block. I was just doing the barrel break in and fire forming with the old stock.