Bolt cleaning ?

Discussion in 'Videos Of Tech Stuff And Reviews' started by doghntr, Dec 23, 2011.

1. doghntr

doghntr Member

Was wanting to know how often you all clean your bolts. Had an issue today while shooting with the bolt not cocking. I worked it a few times and then didn't have any othe problems with it. I am now looking for the video on taking the bolt apart.

2. geargrinder

geargrinder Well-Known Member

What kind of bolt do you have?

3. doghntr

doghntr Member

Rem 700. The not cocking has me thinking I need to clean.

4. Aldon

Aldon Well-Known Member

When I buy used rifle, i clean Bolt thoroughly with Gun scrubber or equivalent. Then use a dry lubricant spray. Then use bore guides with solvent ports and keep all oils out of bolt and action. Rarely felt the need to clean bolt afterwards.

5. FEENIX

FEENIX Well-Known Member

Here's one from Midway USA ...

[ame="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0CZW5h3Emy0&feature=endscreen&NR=1"]Complete Tear Down and Disassembly of a Remington 700 - YouTube[/ame]

... and a pretty cool trick without tools from a US Marine ...

How to disassemble rifle bolt with no tools - YouTube

Good luck!

Ed

6. ken snyder

ken snyder Well-Known Member

The bolt handle isn't going down far enough and is hitting the stock would be my guess.

7. shortgrass

shortgrass Well-Known Member

Sounds like a trigger problem, sear not engaging the cocking piece. Trigger mechanism dirty or 'gummed up'? Has the trigger been removed and the re-installed (tight pins can 'crimp' the sides of the trigger body and not allow free sear movement)? Has the trigger been "adjusted"? Go ahead and buy the tool for firing pin removal, you'll be glad you did. If you value your firearms, invest a few dollars, or take it to a gunsmith, or both.

8. doghntr

doghntr Member

It's a Jewel trigger and I haven't done anything to it. Thought it might have something to do with the trigger but not sure. After I worked the bolt it was fine. I think I will clean the bolt to start with and see if it does it again. Thanks for the reply's.