BOAT=Hole in water for money

Muddyboots

Can't really complain too much but still stings. Bought Penn Yan 212 in 1989 still have it. Never had any mechanical costs. Prob 3 lifetimes on motor outdrive. 33rd season. So needed impeller. Went downhill fast! Outdrive seal bad leaking oil into bellows. So went from normal maint to ah crap. Decided to replace bellows at same time since already there. Replace bad trim sending unit that was bad but accessible now, when all said and done prob $1500. Added in some other routine that I cant do with shoulder in recovery. So much for Sendero remage build later this year!

Can't really complain too much but still stings. Bought Penn Yan 212 in 1989 still have it. Never had any mechanical costs. Prob 3 lifetimes on motor outdrive. 33rd season. So needed impeller. Went downhill fast! Outdrive seal bad leaking oil into bellows. So went from normal maint to ah crap. Decided to replace bellows at same time since already there. Replace bad trim sending unit that was bad but accessible now, when all said and done prob $1500. Added in some other routine that I cant do with shoulder in recovery. So much for Sendero remage build later this year!
Best days of a boat owners life, the day he buys it and the day he sells it.

It hasn't cost me a dime in 33 seasons but wasn't expecting this surprise. But better than breaking down 25 miles off shore on Lake Michigan! Still solid boat and great salmon trolling rig. I told my wife this is last boat 33 years ago!
F414826A-B349-4859-8228-31DCC0E7429E.jpeg

Penn Yan built them by the pound so incredibly heavy for its length. I just weighed it for new trailer last year and the 21' boat alone weighed 4200+ lbs. Went with 6800 lb Trailmaster as result. Killed original trailer just towing all over. All hardware is SS and stop nutted so all hardware still on boat.

That's good boat to last that long. having a boat makes good family and friends memory I have had smaller boats before and bought a new boat two seasons ago and have 80hrs on the big motor and who knows how much on trolling motor lol in the water more then the big lol and family has had a blast on it. It's great when you go into the freezer and pull out the fish to eat you caught in the summer 😁

I owned several boats over a period of 24 years. It was really fun for around 20 of those years. Then it hit me one day: I've had to work on every boat I've owned. Major work on most all of them. I started dreading even hooking the boat up to head out to the lake. Thanks to televized BassMasters being an influence on people along with the level of respect that has been instilled in this generation: people just pull right up next to you while fishing and start fishing by you or casting where you are casting. I decided that I was done with it. Don't miss it. Maybe I will miss it one of these days but I don't think so.