Blast from the past II

bamban

One year hunting in Webb County, I decided to take my trusty 788 7-08 carbine. With a Weaver T6, it served as my Factory Hunter Benchrest rifle, bedded and modified adjustable trigger. This was the rifle I used primarily to take Hill Country WT in Mason County. Lots of them. One weekend the rifle accounted for 5 barren does, the limit. TX HC WT are rather small, German Shepherd size.

Duck taped magsine keeps it from rattling. Those things have lousy fit

This deer showed up on the other end of the cross fence about 600 yards away from me. Two mornings as I set on my shooting position on the same corner, this guy showed showed up on the same spot it did the previous day. It was a creature of habit, it always waited after oil field workers leave in their trucks.

On the 3rd day I set up on the corner where I saw it cross the dirt road. My shooting position was on the ground leaning against the fence line, brush on the other side behind me served well for camo.

As soon as the oil field workers drove to the other side, I dropped to prone. Harris bipod extended all the way out and waited.

In about 15 minute wait, this guy stuck it's head past the brush. Carefully, I waited looking through the crosshairs, safety off that felt like hours, it finally took a couple of steps.

Once I settled in my respiratory pause, I broke the shot. My favorite hunting projectile for the 7-08 carbine was the Sierra Gameking 120 grains flat base and healthy dose of 4320, found its mark.

I shoot with both eyes, I saw it dropped, as I aimed for the high shoulder shot to break the spine. In South Texas, the last thing you want is track a deer through the brush. Seems like every brush has thorns, not to mention the cactii and rattlers. Yes, I've killed those slimy critters during hunting season.

My buddy included this picture with the Cayote picture when he handed me back the 7RM.

20220708_154413.jpg

FYI: I am not a hunter, just a trigger monkey. At 75 yards I might just hit my intended target.

Last edited:
Very nice enjoyable write up! Great description and +1 on anchoring him in place!

Thank you. I tracked a deer through the brush country only once, that thorny place tore me up. Besides following the blood trail, head was on swivel for those dang rattlers. Since then I just broke the spine no matter how far the shot was.

One year hunting in Webb County, I decided to take my trusty 788 7-08 carbine. With a Weaver T6, it served as my Factory Hunter Benchrest rifle, bedded and modified adjustable trigger. This was the rifle I used primarily to take Hill Country WT in Mason County. Lots of them. One weekend the rifle accounted for 5 barren does, the limit. TX HC WT are rather small, German Shepherd size.

This deer showed up on the other end of the cross fence about 600 yards away from me. Two mornings as I set on my shooting position on the same corner, this guy showed showed up on the same spot it did the previous day. It was a creature of habit, it always waited after oil field workers leave in their trucks.

On the 3rd day I set up on the corner where I saw it cross the dirt road. My shooting position was on the ground leaning against the fence line, brush on the other side behind me served well for camo.

As soon as the oil field workers drove to the other side, I dropped to prone. Harris bipod extended all the way out and waited.

In about 15 minute wait, this guy stuck it's head past the brush. Carefully, I waited looking through the crosshairs, safety off that felt like hours, it finally took a couple of steps.

Once I settled in my respiratory pause, I broke the shot. My favorite hunting projectile for the 7-08 carbine was the Sierra Gameking 120 grains flat base and healthy dose of 4320, found its mark.

I shoot with both eyes, I saw it dropped, as I aimed for the high shoulder shot to break the spine. In South Texas, the last thing you want is track a deer through the brush. Seems like every brush has thorns, not to mention the cactii and rattlers. Yes, I've killed those slimy critters during hunting season.

My buddy included this picture with the Cayote picture when he handed me back the 7RM.

View attachment 377636

FYI: I am not a hunter, just a trigger monkey. At 75 yards I might just hit my intended target.
BANG! Shang-a-lang. Nice.

View attachment 377636

Dandy Buck congratulations!
Yes those mags fit terribly I had exactly your rifle my daughter started shooting it and I'm pretty sure I'll never get it back, can't think of a better way to loose it.😁