Blade type micrometers

180pilot

Anyone purchased a good blade mic for a reasonable price? And do you find it of any value to measure case head expansion?

Mic is very useful. I'm now using the digital mic from Midway for around $50.00. Very consistent. Easily measure web expansion by being sure to measure in the same spot before & after firing. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/cool.gif

I don't know what you would call a resonable price...the two that I have are both Mitutoyo 6" dial calipers. One is battery operated ($85) and the other is "solar" powered ($110). To me that is a reasonable price and they are digital.

They are both very accurate and measure to 1/2 thousands.

As far as measuring the case at the "web" area, I think I may have done that back about 15 years ago and that was the last time. I just don't have any need to check it.

The "blade" mics I see are all over $ 200 are you sure you are talking about a blade type micrometer? I already have the standard type with round measuring surfaces.

Although, from what I'm reading lately, the experts think measuring the case head to predict pressures is not as reliable as once thought.

I think ya'll are talking two different things. Micrometers and calipers. Both have useful applications in reloading. Consistent (repeatable) and accurate (calibrated) tools equate to consistent, accurate handloads.

Warning! This thread is more than 19 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.